When your iCloud storage is full, you have to delete some data to free up space for new data. But the question is, what should you delete? Here’s a rundown of the various categories of data stored in iCloud, and some tips on what to delete:
1. Photos and Videos – The largest category of data in iCloud is usually photos and videos. If you have iCloud Photo Library turned on, all your photos and videos are automatically synced to iCloud, taking up space, so deleting some of them can free up significant storage.
2. Messages – If you use the Messages app on your iCloud-enabled device, it also stores all your message conversations in iCloud. You can free up some space by deleting old messages, especially those with large attachments.
3. Backups – iCloud also stores backups of all your iOS devices, so check how many backups you have in your iCloud settings and delete old ones that you no longer need.
4. Mail – If you use the iCloud Mail service, your emails and attachments are stored in iCloud, which can quickly add up in terms of storage space. You may want to delete old emails or download attachments to your device and delete them from iCloud to free up space.
5. Documents and Data – The iCloud Drive service stores all your documents and photos that are not synced through iCloud Photo Library. You may want to check what documents you have stored and delete those you no longer need.
In summary, to free up space when iCloud Storage is full, you can delete photos, videos, messages, old backups, old emails, and unused documents and data. It’s essential to assess which data you need to save and which you can delete. Note that it’s always wise to back up any essential data you delete to ensure that you don’t lose it permanently.
Video Tutorial:What happens if my iCloud storage is full?
Will I still get emails if my iCloud is full?
Yes, you will still receive emails even if your iCloud storage is full. The reason being that email messages are stored on email servers and not on your iCloud storage. However, if your iCloud storage is full, you may not be able to save any attachments or files that come with the emails to your iCloud. To free up space in your iCloud storage, you can delete unnecessary backups, reduce the size of your photo library, or purchase additional storage from Apple.
How do I free up space on my iCloud Photos?
To free up space on your iCloud Photos, there are several steps you can take.
1. Evaluate your iCloud storage usage: Before making any changes, you should check how much storage your iCloud is currently using. You can do this by going to Settings > [Your Name] > iCloud > Manage Storage. Here, you will see how much space each app is using and how much space is available.
2. Delete unwanted photos and videos: One of the easiest ways to free up space on iCloud Photos is to delete unwanted photos and videos. You can select and delete multiple photos and videos at once by tapping on "Select" and then choosing the items you want to delete.
3. Optimize storage: You can optimize storage by turning on the "Optimize iPhone Storage" in the iCloud Photos settings. This setting will automatically store full-resolution photos and videos in iCloud while keeping smaller, optimized versions on your device.
4. Disable iCloud Photos: If you no longer want to use iCloud Photos, you can disable it by going to Settings > [Your Name] > iCloud > Photos and then turning off the toggle for "iCloud Photos."
By following these steps, you can easily free up space on your iCloud Photos and better manage your storage.
Can I delete Photos from iPhone and keep on iCloud?
Yes, you can delete photos from your iPhone and keep them on iCloud. This is possible with iCloud Photo Library, a feature of iOS that automatically uploads photos and videos to iCloud and keeps them synced across all your Apple devices.
To delete photos from your iPhone and keep them on iCloud, you simply need to enable iCloud Photo Library on your iPhone and select the "Optimize iPhone Storage" option. This will ensure that your iPhone stores only a smaller, lower-resolution version of the photo, while the original, high-resolution version is kept safely on iCloud.
To delete a photo from your iPhone, you can simply open up the Photos app, select the photo you wish to delete, and tap on the trash icon to delete it. The photo will still be accessible on any other device that is synced with your iCloud account.
It’s important to note that if you delete a photo from iCloud, it will be permanently deleted from all devices that have access to that account. So, be sure to backup your iCloud photos regularly to avoid any data loss.
What happens if I turn off and delete photos from iCloud?
When you turn off iCloud Photos or delete photos from iCloud, they will also be removed from all your devices that have iCloud Photos enabled. If you don’t have a backup of these photos on any other device or external storage, they will be permanently lost. It’s important to remember that deleting photos from iCloud only removes them from the iCloud Photo Library, not from the device where they were originally taken or stored. Additionally, if you’re using iCloud Photos to share photos with others, deleting them could also remove them from their devices as well. Therefore, it’s important to carefully consider before turning off or deleting photos from iCloud, and make sure to have a backup plan in place to avoid accidental data loss.
How do I get more storage on iCloud?
To get more storage on iCloud, you can either purchase additional storage or free up space on your existing iCloud storage. To purchase additional storage, you can go to your iCloud settings on your iPhone, iPad, or Mac and select the "Upgrade" option. You will then be presented with a variety of storage options and their corresponding prices.
If you would like to free up space on your existing iCloud storage, you can start by reviewing the content that is currently being backed up and stored. This may include photos, videos, documents, or backups of your device. Consider deleting any old or unnecessary files that are taking up significant amounts of space. You can also adjust your iCloud backup settings to exclude certain types of data or only back up data when you are connected to Wi-Fi.
Additionally, you can try optimizing your photo library by enabling iCloud Photo Library and selecting the "Optimize Storage" option. This will reduce the amount of space your photos and videos take up on your iCloud storage.
In summary, getting more storage on iCloud involves either purchasing additional storage or freeing up space on your existing storage by deleting unnecessary files and optimizing your backup and photo settings.