WhatsApp is one of the most popular chat apps with over two billion users worldwide. It’s a go-to app for communication between friends, family, and colleagues, but what happens if you accidentally delete some important messages? Fortunately, there are ways to retrieve deleted messages in WhatsApp. In this blog post, you will learn the steps to retrieve deleted messages from WhatsApp on your Android phone.
Before we get started, you will need a few things to complete the process of retrieving deleted messages:
What Requires Your Focus?
It is crucial to act quickly and stay focused when trying to retrieve deleted messages on WhatsApp as the app continually replaces new data over old ones. It is also important to back up your WhatsApp messages frequently, as this can help you retrieve messages you’ve lost.
Different Methods to Retrieve Deleted Messages in WhatsApp Android
Method 1: Via Google Drive Backup
If you have backed up your WhatsApp messages on Google Drive, you can easily retrieve deleted messages. Here are the steps:
1. Uninstall WhatsApp from your Android phone.
2. Reinstall WhatsApp and verify your phone number.
3. Choose the option to restore your backup from Google Drive.
4. Once the backup is restored, WhatsApp will automatically retrieve the deleted messages.
– Easy to use
– Works with any Android device
– Can retrieve deleted messages even without a backup on your device
– Requires backup to be on Google Drive
– Restore time may vary based on backup size
Method 2: Via Local Backup
If you have previously backed up your WhatsApp messages locally, you can still retrieve deleted messages using this method. Here’s how:
1. Go to your device’s file manager and look for the WhatsApp folder.
2. Open the folder, then click on "Databases."
3. Look for a file named "msgstore.db.crypt12" and rename it to "msgstore_BACKUP.db.crypt12."
4. Uninstall WhatsApp from your device.
5. Reinstall WhatsApp and verify your phone number. Afterward, choose restore from the local backup option.
6. Once the restore process is complete, all your deleted messages will be retrieved.
– Works well for users who prefer local backups
– Can be used even without a Google account
– Can only retrieve messages that are deleted recently
– Loss of data may occur if the backup is not updated frequently.
Method 3: Using Third-Party Apps
If the above two methods didn’t work, you can use third-party apps like GT Recovery or Dumpster to retrieve deleted messages. Here is how you can use these apps:
1. Download and install a reliable recovery app like GT Recovery or Dumpster from the Google Play Store.
2. Launch the app and set it up following the instructions provided.
3. Once setup is complete, select WhatsApp as the application to be used for recovery.
4. Select "Scan" to begin the recovery process.
5. Once the scan is complete, select the deleted WhatsApp messages you want to retrieve and click on the "Restore" button.
– Works with any Android device
– Can retrieve any deleted messages as long as they have not been overwritten by new data.
– May require rooting of the device
– Some apps may not be reliable and may cause data loss
Why Can’t I Retrieve Deleted Messages in WhatsApp Android
There are few reasons why you may not be able to retrieve your deleted messages in WhatsApp. Here are a few common ones and their fixes:
1. You have not backed up your WhatsApp messages: As mentioned earlier, it is essential to back up your WhatsApp messages regularly to avoid losing your important conversations.
Fix: Back up your WhatsApp messages regularly, either locally or on Google Drive.
2. You have not enabled Google Drive backup: If you did not back up your WhatsApp messages on Google Drive, you may not be able to retrieve deleted messages using method one.
Fix: Enable Google Drive backup option for WhatsApp
3. The time frame: If you did not promptly retrieve your deleted messages, the chances of recovering them may be low as WhatsApp overwrites old data with new information.
Fix: Act quickly and consistently back up your chats
Implications and Recommendations
It is crucial to back up your WhatsApp messages frequently to avoid data loss. Also, act quickly and follow the right process of recovering deleted WhatsApp messages. Never download any questionable third-party app without doing proper research.
5 FAQs About How to Retrieve Deleted Messages in WhatsApp Android
Q1: How long does it take to retrieve deleted messages from WhatsApp backup?
A: Recovery duration varies depending on the size of stored content. The larger the data, the longer it may take.
Q2: Can I retrieve deleted WhatsApp messages older than seven days?
A: If you didn’t enable automatic backups, it would not be possible to retrieve messages older than seven days.
Q3: Do I need a rooted device to use third-party apps?
A: Some recovery apps may require root access. In contrast, others don’t, so it’s always best to check the requirements of an app before downloading it.
Q4: Can I retrieve deleted WhatsApp messages from a lost phone?
A: You can retrieve deleted WhatsApp messages backed up on Google Drive by logging into another device linked to the same Google account and restoring it.
Q5: Will I lose my current WhatsApp chat if I restore from an old backup?
A: Yes, you may lose your current WhatsApp chat if it was not backed up before restoring an old backup.
Accidentally deleting WhatsApp messages does not have to be a headache. There are several methods you can use to retrieve deleted messages easily. It is crucial to act quickly while retrieving deleted messages, and most importantly, back up your data regularly either locally or on Google Drive.