iPhones come with pre-installed apps; however, the native email app is indispensable for many iPhone users. The email app allows you to receive, read, and send emails swiftly. Sometimes, you may accidentally delete your email app, or it may disappear on its own. When this happens, you may feel puzzled and helpless as the native email app has fantastic features that third-party email apps cannot match. Hence, this blog post seeks to provide you with helpful insights and methods that you can follow to restore the deleted email app on your iPhone.
The Challenge of Restoring Deleted Email App on iPhone
Deleting the native email app on your iPhone is an easy mistake to make. You can accidentally touch the email app icon and hold it for too long or tap the "x" icon when trying to remove another app. Retrieving the deleted email app can be tricky, especially if you don’t know where to start. Although Apple does not allow users to delete pre-installed apps permanently, some iPhone users accidentally or unknowingly remove the email app from their phone.
Things You Should Prepare for
Before diving into the methods of restoring the deleted email app on your iPhone, there are several things that you should prepare for. These include:
- Ensuring your iPhone has sufficient battery life or connect it to the charger to prevent inconveniences during the restoration process.
- Having a stable and reliable internet connection like Wi-Fi or cellular data.
- Ensuring you remember your Apple ID and password
- Backing up essential data on your iPhone. Although restoring the email app should not affect any of your data, it’s crucial to create a backup of your information to be safe.
Method 1: Restore Deleted App via App Store
The App Store is the primary source of iPhone applications, and it’s an essential tool that can help you restore your deleted email app. Here’s how to use this method:
- Open the App Store on your iPhone.
- Type ‘Mail’ or ‘Email App’ in the search bar at the bottom of the screen.
- Select the email app that Apple owns, which is called "Mail – Email App by Apple."
- Click the download button to initiate the installation process
- The email app icon will then show up on your home screen once the installation process is complete.
- Installing the email app via the App Store is a simple and straightforward process
- This method restores the email app to its original form, complete with any updates it’s received from Apple
- If the App Store version of Mail is not installed properly, you may lose some data or messages from the deleted email app.
- Some email settings may need to be reconfigured after reinstalling the app
Method 2: Check iCloud or iTunes Backup
If you consistently backup your iPhone’s data, iCloud or iTunes may have saved a copy of the deleted email app and any data associated with it. Therefore, restoring the deleted email app from an iCloud or iTunes backup is an excellent option for iPhone users who regularly back up their data. Here’s how you can use this method:
- Connect your iPhone to a stable Wi-Fi network or computer with iTunes
- Open iTunes on your computer and ensure your phone is connected to the computer.
- Select your iPhone from the dropdown menu located on the top left of iTunes
- Click restore backup, then select the iCloud or iTunes backup that you created before the email app got deleted.
- Follow the prompts to complete the restoration process, and the email app will be replaced to where it was included in the backup.
- The email app is restored to its exact previous condition.
- Restoring from a backup helps to retrieve any information or settings that might be lost while installing the email app via App Store.
- The backup process may take some time, especially if the backup is large
- Restoring emails and other settings may take longer, depending on the size of your backup.
Method 3: Factory Reset
A factory reset completely resets all of your iPhone’s settings to their original state. This method will delete all data from your iPhone, so it’s crucial to back up your data before proceeding to avoid losing information like emails, contacts, and photos. Here’s how you can reset your phone:
- Connect your iPhone to a stable Wi-Fi network
- Open the Settings app on your device
- Click on General, then Reset.
- Select "Erase all content and settings."
- Enter your Apple ID password to confirm, and the reset will initiate
- After the reset is complete, set up your phone as you would when you first bought it, and the email app should be pre-installed on your home screen.
- This method not only restores the email app but also resets your phone to its original state
- It resolves multiple issues with your iPhone, including those associated with the email app.
- This method will erase all the data stored on your iPhone, so it’s vital to back up your device beforehand to avoid losing any valuable information or contacts.
- The process of resetting the device can take an extended period and may be inconvenient for users with a busy schedule.
Method 4: Update Your iPhone
Apple regularly releases updates for its iPhone devices, which can help resolve issues with apps like the email app. If the email app got deleted from your iPhone, an update may provide a solution. Here are the steps to follow:
- Connect your iPhone to a stable Wi-Fi network
- Open the Settings app
- Click General, then click Software Update
- If there’s an available update, select "Download and Install."
- Follow the prompts to install the update
- Once the update is complete, restart your iPhone. The email app should now be available on your home screen.
- Updating your iPhone may resolve the issue without deleting any data or apps from your phone.
- It’s a simple option that does not require any technical skills.
- If there are no available updates, this method may not work.
- It does not guarantee that the email app will be restored to your home screen.
- The update process may take some time depending on the size of the update, and you may not be able to use your iPhone during the update process.
Why Can’t I Restore My Deleted Email App on iPhone?
There may be several reasons why you cannot restore your deleted email app on your iPhone. These reasons include:
Q1: I’ve tried all the methods, but nothing works. What else can I do?
A: If all the methods listed fail, you may need to visit an authorized Apple repair store or contact Apple support directly. They may be able to provide you with a solution to your particular problem.
Q2: My iPhone is on the latest version, and I still cannot find my email app. What can I do?
A: If your iPhone is on the latest version, try accessing the App Store, then go to your purchase history and download the app. It’s also possible that your email app got moved to a different location on your home screen or to a different folder.
Q3: My iPhone is stuck in recovery mode after trying to restore the email app. What do I do?
A: Try to restart your iPhone immediately after it goes into recovery mode. Make sure your iPhone has enough battery life or is connected to a power source. If the problem persists, contact Apple support or take your device to an authorized Apple repair store.
Q4: Will restoring my iPhone delete all my data?
A: Factory resetting your iPhone will delete all your data; thus, it’s advisable to back up your data before proceeding with the reset. Additionally, restoring your iPhone through the other methods above should not delete any data.
Q5: Why did my email app disappear in the first place?
A: The email app could disappear due to several reasons. You may have accidentally deleted the app, your iPhone software update may have caused the email app to disappear, or it may be due to a technical error.
Here are some additional tips that can help you restore your deleted email app on your iPhone:
- Consult relevant online forums like Apple Community for additional information on how to restore the email app.
- The App Store version of the email app may not be the best option if you previously customized the email app before deleting it as it contains the default settings.
- If all your emails disappeared after you deleted your email app, they may not be recoverable. However, checking with your email provider may help salvage some of the missing data.
In conclusion, the email app on an iPhone is a critical feature that many people rely on daily. If the email app gets deleted, it can cause considerable inconvenience. However, by following the methods outlined above, you can quickly restore the email app on your iPhone. While it’s frustrating to lose such an essential app, the tips shared in this blog post can help ensure that the email app is restored with the least amount of stress and inconvenience possible.