It’s frustrating when you accidentally delete important messages from WhatsApp. But did you know that there are methods to recover those deleted messages? In this blog post, we’ll explore several methods to recover deleted WhatsApp messages and give tips on what to focus on during the recovery process.
If you use WhatsApp frequently and consider the app’s messaging feature an essential tool for communicating with your friends, colleagues, and family, you can gather a lot of important data in your account. But, if you accidentally delete something, don’t worry; it’s recoverable, and we will explain how to do so.
Before we dive into the different recovery methods, here are the things you will need:
- Your smartphone
- The phone number associated with the WhatsApp account that the deleted messages belong to
- A stable internet connection
- Patience and attention to detail
What Requires Your Focus?
Before attempting to recover deleted messages, it’s important to focus on the following:
- Do not delete the WhatsApp account, reinstall WhatsApp, or clear WhatsApp data from your smartphone because this could overwrite the lost data.
- Immediately stop using WhatsApp once you realize that the messages have been deleted.
- Regularly back up your messages on WhatsApp so that if anything happens, you can restore the data quickly.
Different Methods to Recover Deleted Messages on WhatsApp
Method 1: Recover WhatsApp messages through notifications (Android)
If you’ve recently deleted a WhatsApp message, you may still be able to recover it through notifications. Here’s how:
- Swipe down from the top of your phone and check if the notification of the deleted message is still present.
- Long press the notification and click on "unarchive" to recover it.
- If the notification isn’t available, download a notification history app from the Google Play Store and search for the WhatsApp notification to recover the message.
- If you locate the missing message, copy the important information and save it somewhere else for safekeeping.
- Quick and easy way to recover lost messages if you recently deleted them
- No need to download any external software
- Will not work if the notification is deleted
- Only available for Android users
- Cannot recover messages that were deleted long ago
Method 2: Recover WhatsApp messages from an earlier backup (Android and iOS)
WhatsApp provides an automatic backup system. Depending on your settings, WhatsApp will backup your messages every 24 hours to your mobile device’s internal memory or SD card. Here’s how to recover messages from an earlier backup:
- Uninstall WhatsApp from your device and reinstall it.
- Verify your phone number and follow the instructions for restoring your backup.
- Select the most recent backup, and any existing chats will be restored on your device.
- If the deleted message is not in the most recent backup, it may be in an earlier backup. Check the other backup options available in WhatsApp settings.
- Can recover messages that were deleted long ago
- Works for both Android and iOS users
- Automatic backup system ensures that messages are regularly saved
- You must uninstall and reinstall WhatsApp, which may be time-consuming
- The most recent backup may not contain the deleted message, meaning you have to search through multiple backups.
Method 3: Recover deleted messages using third-party software (Android and iOS)
There are several third-party software options for restoring deleted WhatsApp messages. Here are some popular choices:
- iMyFone D-Back (iOS)
- Dr. Fone by Wondershare (Android and iOS)
- Recuva (Windows only)
If you have already created a backup, the software will scan your iPhone or Android to find deleted WhatsApp messages in your backup files. Here are the steps to follow:
- Download and install the software you plan to use.
- Once installed, connect your phone to your computer and launch the software.
- Select the desired scanning option and select WhatsApp to search for deleted messages.
- The software will conduct a scan of your phone to search for deleted files. After the scan is complete, you can preview the files and recover them.
- Can recover messages that were deleted permanently
- Third-party software has advanced scanning capabilities, increasing the chances of recovering deleted messages
- Some software may require purchasing to recover deleted messages
- May need technical knowledge to use third-party software
- Some software may cause a security risk or malware if downloaded from untrusted sources
Why Can’t I Recover Deleted Messages?
There are several reasons why you may not be able to recover deleted WhatsApp messages:
You can’t find the backup. If you didn’t enable auto-backup on WhatsApp, you may not have a backup containing the deleted messages to restore.
You can start backing up your messages on WhatsApp right now, and avoid losing them again. Go to WhatsApp settings, click "Chats," then "Chat Backup," and enable automatic backups.
You are attempting to recover deleted messages more than seven days after they were deleted.
Unfortunately, if the messages were deleted more than seven days ago, they are permanently deleted from the phone’s internal storage system, and they cannot be recovered.
You deleted the chat containing the message, which deletes the message prematurely.
Try recovering the message using one of the methods we described above.
Implications and Recommendations
WhatsApp messages can be a valuable source of information for personal or professional reasons, so it’s essential to backup your data and avoid deleted messages. Here are some things to do:
- Regularly backup your messages on WhatsApp.
- Don’t delete a chat or conversation unless you know precisely what it contains.
- Immediately stop using WhatsApp after deleting a message to avoid overwriting remaining data that could be retrieved.
- Consider downloading a third-party software to recover deleted messages if you can’t retrieve them through conventional means.
5 FAQs about How to Recover Deleted Messages on WhatsApp
Q1: Is it possible to recover deleted messages that are not backed up on WhatsApp?
A: Unfortunately, if you didn’t enable auto-backup on WhatsApp, you may not have a backup containing the deleted messages to restore.
Q2: How long do backups typically last on WhatsApp?
A: WhatsApp backups can be kept for a maximum of one year, and you can change backup settings that control how frequently WhatsApp performs a backup.
Q3: Is there a way to back up WhatsApp messages without Google Drive?
A: Yes, you can connect your iPhone to your computer and backup WhatsApp messages via iTunes.
Q4: How do I verify phone number after reinstalling WhatsApp?
A: WhatsApp will ask you to enter your phone number and confirm it via SMS. After that, you will be prompted to restore a backup of the chat history or start fresh.
Q5: Can I recover deleted messages from a group chat?
A: Yes, all the above methods work for group chats as well.
As we’ve demonstrated, there are numerous solutions if you accidentally delete WhatsApp messages. With regular backup, patience, and the right strategy, you can recover lost data and have peace of mind knowing you won’t lose valuable information. If none of the above methods works, and you desperately need to recover lost messages, consider downloading third-party software.