Google Drive offers an easy way to store, share, and collaborate on files and documents online. As more and more people use Google Drive to save their photos, it’s no wonder that losing or accidentally deleting photos from Google Drive can be a real problem. Fortunately, there are a few ways to recover deleted pictures from Google Drive. In this blog post, we will explore the challenge of recovering deleted pictures from Google Drive and provide several methods to recover those lost photos.
The Challenge of Recovering Deleted Pictures from Google Drive
While Google Drive offers an outstanding and reliable way to store your photos, it is not completely immune to issues such as data loss or deletion. Pictures are often deleted due to user error, accidental deletion, or even by hackers who gain access to your account. Without a backup, retrieving these lost photos can be a real challenge.
But before losing hope, you should know that Google Drive automatically retains versions of files and documents that you delete or modify. This retention is available for 30 days; hence, you can access and restore deleted files within that grace period. So, let’s move on to explore the methods to recover deleted pictures from Google Drive.
Things You Should Prepare for
Before we explore the methods of recovering deleted pictures from Google Drive, there are a few things that you must prepare for.
1. A stable internet connection.
2. A computer or a mobile device.
3. Login credentials of your Google Drive account.
4. The photo file name that you want to recover.
5. A minute or two of your time.
Method 1: Using the “Recent” Tab
Google Drive keeps track of all the recent files and folders, making it easier to access your recently deleted files. Here is how to recover deleted pictures from Google Drive using the "Recent" tab.
1. Open your Google Drive.
2. Click the "Recent" tab on the left-hand pane.
3. Scroll down until you locate the deleted photo that you want to recover.
4. Right-click on the file, and from the drop-down menu, select "Restore."
5. Wait for the file to sync, and your file will be restored in its original folder.
– Easy and straightforward option to recover recently deleted photos.
– No technical skills required.
– This method only works if you know the name of the photo you want to recover.
– If the file was deleted more than 30 days ago, this method won’t work.
Method 2: Using the Google Drive Bin
Deleted items in Google Drive do not get deleted permanently. Instead, they get relocated to the Bin, where they are stored for 30 days, as mentioned earlier. Here is how to retrieve photos from Google Drive Bin.
1. Open the Google Drive Bin by clicking on the "Bin" folder in the left-hand pane.
2. Locate the deleted photo that you want to recover and right-click on it.
3. Select the "Restore" option to recover the deleted photo.
4. Wait for the file to sync and restore itself to its original location.
– Recovering files from the bin is easy and straightforward.
– Bin retains deleted files for 30 days, giving you ample time to recover the lost photos.
– Similar to method one, you might have trouble finding the specific photo that you are searching for if you don’t know the name.
Method 3: Using a Third-Party Recovery Tool
If the above methods fail to recover your deleted photos, you can resort to using third-party recovery tools. Several recovery tools are available online that can scan your Google Drive account and restore the lost photos.
One of the most popular photo recovery tools is EaseUS Data Recovery. Here’s how to recover deleted photos from Google Drive using EaseUS Data Recovery.
1. Download and install EaseUS Data Recovery on your computer.
2. Launch the app and click on the "Google Drive" option.
3. Provide the login credentials for your Google Drive account.
4. After signing in, EaseUS Data Recovery will start scanning your Google Drive account for deleted photos.
5. Select the photos that you want to restore and click on the "Recover" button.
– Third-party recovery tools like EaseUS Data Recovery can recover photos that are not available in the "Recent" or "Bin" folder.
– EaseUS Data Recovery supports various file types and works well with different cloud storage services.
– Third-party recovery tools are not always reliable and can compromise your data privacy and security.
– These tools may come with hidden costs or force you to upgrade to a premium plan to access advanced features.
Why Can’t I Recover Deleted Pictures from Google Drive?
Here are some common reasons why you might have difficulty in recovering deleted pictures from Google Drive and how to fix them.
1. You might have crossed the 30-day limit to recover deleted files. In this case, recovering the deleted picture is not possible.
– Solution: Create a backup of your important files to avoid such issues in the future.
2. The deleted photo might have been permanently deleted from the Bin folder.
– Solution: Recover deleted or lost photos from the backup device or a professional photo recovery tool.
3. The photo might have been moved or permanently deleted by another collaborator with access to the file.
– Solution: Consult with your team members and verify the permission access and location of the files.
Here are some additional tips that you should keep in mind while using Google Drive.
– Always make a backup of your important files to avoid losing them.
– Keep an eye on the storage usage of your Google Drive account.
– Be mindful while editing or deleting any file on Google Drive.
– Regularly clean the Bin folder to avoid overcrowding and clogging up your storage space.
5 FAQs about Recovering Deleted Pictures from Google Drive
Q1. Does Google Drive keep a record of deleted files and documents?
A1. Yes, Google Drive retains the versions of files and documents that you delete or modify for 30 days.
Q2. Can I retrieve permanently deleted photos from Google Drive?
A2. No, once the deleted photo is removed from Bin, it gets permanently deleted, and you can’t retrieve it from Google Drive.
Q3. Can I recover deleted photos from Google Photos if they were stored on Google Drive?
A3. Yes, If you have your photos’ backup on Google Photos, you can easily retrieve them from there.
Q4. Are the third-party recovery tools safe to use?
A4. While many third-party recovery tools are legit and can help you recover your lost pictures, they may cause more harm than good in some cases. It’s best to read reviews and feedback before using any third-party tool.
Q5. Is it possible to recover multiple photos simultaneously?
A5. Yes, the above-mentioned methods support bulk processing, and you can recover multiple photos at once using any of them.
Losing important photos can be frustrating, but with Google Drive’s built-in recovery options, you should be able to restore your deleted photos. The methods discussed in this blog will help you recover the lost or deleted photos, but to avoid losing them again, consider keeping a backup copy on your computer or an external device. Remember to choose a reputable third-party recovery tool if you need extra help. We hope that this guide has been helpful in recovering your deleted pictures from Google Drive.