Have you ever accidentally deleted a folder full of all your favorite websites in the Microsoft Edge browser? Losing all of your important bookmarks can be a massive headache, and recreating them can take hours. Luckily, there are ways to recover a deleted favorites folder in Edge.
In this article, we’ll discuss different methods you can use to recover a deleted favorites folder in Edge. We’ll also go over some common questions and provide some recommendations on how to avoid this problem in the future.
Before we get started, you’ll need a few things to ensure a successful recovery:
- A computer running Windows 10 with the Edge browser installed
- Access to your computer’s file explorer
- Some technical knowledge of how to access hidden files on your computer
What Requires Your Focus?
Recovering a deleted favorites folder in Edge can be a bit tricky, so you’ll want to make sure you’re focused and not easily distracted while following the steps below. It may also be helpful to take notes along the way so you don’t forget any important details.
Different Methods to Recover a Deleted Favorites Folder in Edge
There are several methods you can try to recover a deleted favorites folder in Edge. We’ll go over three methods below.
Method 1: Recover deleted favorites from the Recycle Bin
If you accidentally deleted the favorites folder, the first place to check is your computer’s Recycle Bin. Here’s how:
- Open the Recycle Bin on your Windows desktop.
- Search for the deleted favorites folder.
- Select the folder and choose "Restore" from the options menu.
- The folder should now be back in your Edge browser.
- Easy to do if the folder was recently deleted
- No additional software required
- If the folder was deleted a while ago, it may have already been permanently deleted from the Recycle Bin
- If you have a large number of files in your Recycle Bin, finding the deleted favorites folder may be time-consuming
Method 2: Use Previous Versions to recover
If the Recycle Bin method didn’t work, you can try to recover the favorites folder through an older version of the Edge folder:
- Open your file explorer and navigate to C:\Users\[YourUserName]\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AC
- Right-click on the folder named "MicrosoftEdgeFavorites" and choose "Properties."
- In the Properties window, click on the "Previous versions" tab.
- Select the most recent backup of the folder and click "Restore."
- Wait for the process to complete.
- Open Edge browser and check if your favorites have returned or not.
- Provides a backup option to recover lost content
- Can recover deleted folders from a longer time period
- May not be possible to recover recent data
- May take longer if you have to go through several previous versions
Method 3: Use data recovery software
If the previous methods didn’t work, you can try to recover your favorites folder using data recovery software:
- Download and install data recovery software on your computer (e.g., Recuva, EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard, etc.)
- Run the software and select the drive where the Edge browser was installed.
- Allow the software to scan the disk for lost data and find the deleted favorites folder.
- Select the folder and recover it to your desired location.
- Import the recovered favorites folder back into Edge.
- Can recover a folder and its contents even after it has been deleted from the Recycle Bin
- Might be your last option to recover the folder if it contains crucial data
- Data recovery software can be expensive
- The process of scanning for lost data may take several hours if you have a lot of files on your hard drive.
- Data recovery software can be complex and difficult to use for some people.
Why Can’t I Recover My Deleted Favorites Folder?
There are several reasons why you may not be able to recover a deleted favorites folder in Edge:
- The folder has been permanently deleted from the Recycle Bin.
- You have not enabled the option to show hidden files on your PC.
- The folder has been overwritten by new data on your hard drive.
If you are unable to recover the folder through any of the methods above, it may be gone for good. However, there are a few things you can do to avoid this problem in the future:
- Make regular backups of your favorites
- Use a cloud-based bookmarking service or extension that saves your bookmarks to the cloud or syncing service
- Double-check when you’re deleting bookmarks or folders to prevent accidentally deleting something important
Implications and Recommendations
Recovering a deleted favorites folder in Edge can be a frustrating experience. However, there are ways to recover it if you act quickly and follow the steps outlined above. It’s also crucial to make regular backups of your bookmarks and take preventative measures to avoid accidentally deleting them.
5 FAQs about Recovering a Deleted Favorites Folder in Edge
Q1: Can I recover a deleted Edge folder without any recovery software?
A: Yes, you can recover a deleted favorites folder in Edge without any data recovery software by using the Recycle Bin or Previous Versions feature in Windows.
Q2: What happens if I can’t find the deleted folder in the Recycle Bin?
A: If you can’t find the deleted folder in the Recycle Bin, you can try to recover it through an older version of the Edge folder, or by using data recovery software.
Q3: Is it possible to recover a deleted Edge folder after it has been permanently deleted?
A: It depends on how long it has been since the folder was deleted and if it has been overwritten by new data on your hard drive. If you act quickly, there is a chance you can still recover it using data recovery software.
Q4: How can I avoid accidentally deleting my Edge favorites in the future?
A: You can avoid accidentally deleting your Edge favorites by backing them up regularly, using a cloud-based bookmarking service, or making sure to double-check before deleting them.
Q5: How can I create a backup of my Edge favorites?
A: You can create a backup of your Edge favorites by exporting them to a file and saving it to your computer. To do this, open Edge and click on the "…" menu in the top right corner. Select "Settings" and then "Import or Export." Choose "Export to file" and select "Favorites or bookmarks" from the drop-down menu. Save the file to your desired location.
Recovering a deleted favorites folder in Edge can be frustrating, but hopefully, this article has given you some useful methods for recovering it. Remember to act quickly, stay focused, and take preventative measures to avoid losing your bookmarks in the future.