WhatsApp is one of the most popular messaging applications out there, with billions of active users worldwide. You can use WhatsApp to send messages, voice notes, videos and images to your friends and family. However, the problem arises when someone sends you a message, and after a while, they delete it. If you’re curious about the content of a deleted message, then this blog post is for you. Here, we will discuss different methods to read messages that were deleted on WhatsApp.
The primary reason why someone would delete a message is that it contains sensitive or confidential information, or maybe they mistakenly sent the message to the wrong person. Regardless of the reason, if you ever find yourself in the situation where you want to read a deleted WhatsApp message, then our guide will help you do precisely that.
Before we begin, here’s a list of things that you’ll need to read deleted messages on WhatsApp. Ensure that you have the following:
- A smartphone
- WhatsApp installed on your phone
- Internet connection
- Notification Log
A Notification Log is a feature that helps you recover deleted messages on your phone. However, it’s essential to note that the Notification Log is only available on Android devices. Unfortunately, if you’re using an iPhone, you won’t be able to use the Notification Log to read deleted WhatsApp messages.
What Requires Your Focus?
To read a deleted message on WhatsApp, you need to have a Notification Log for your phone. With Notification Log, you can recover deleted WhatsApp messages easily. However, Notification Log is not an application that you can download, but it’s a system feature that you’ll need to enable on your phone manually. Moreover, it’s essential that we understand the limitations of Notification Log. First, you can only recover messages if you have received a notification for those messages. Second, you have to be quick about recovering the message as the notification log only saves the messages for a limited time. Lastly, Notification Log will only save messages for a certain amount of time, usually a few hours, after which the messages are deleted permanently.
Different Methods to Read Deleted Messages on WhatsApp
Method 1: Via Notification Log
One of the easiest ways to read a deleted message on WhatsApp is by using the Notification Log on your phone. As we mentioned earlier, the Notification Log is a system feature that records your notifications. Here’s how you can use the Notification Log to read deleted WhatsApp messages:
- Unlock your phone and head to the home screen.
- Tap and hold on the home screen.
- Select ‘Widgets.’
- Scroll down and select ‘Settings.’
- Drag and drop the ‘Settings’ widget onto your home screen.
- Scroll down and select the ‘Notification Log’ option.
- Tap on this option, and it will take you to the Notification Log.
- Scroll down to find the deleted WhatsApp message.
- Tap on the message, and it will open in the WhatsApp chat window.
- Easy and simple method to retrieve deleted messages.
- No need to download any third-party application.
- You can only recover deleted messages that you received a notification for.
- You have to be quick about retrieving the message as the notification log saves the messages for a limited time.
- The Notification Log is only available on Android phones.
Method 2: Via WhatsApp Chat Backup
Another way to read deleted messages on WhatsApp is by using the backup feature. You can use this method if you have enabled the ‘Auto-Backup’ feature on WhatsApp or have created a manual backup. With this method, you can restore your WhatsApp chat history, which will include the deleted messages.
- Uninstall the WhatsApp application and reinstall it.
- Open the WhatsApp application and enter your phone number.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to restore your previous chats.
- Once the backup process is initiated, the deleted messages will be restored in your WhatsApp chat history.
- Find the deleted message in the chat history, and it will be displayed in its original form.
- This method is efficient in recovering deleted messages, and it can restore your entire chat history.
- You may lose your recent chats as the backup process only restores messages to the last backup.
- You need to back up your chat history regularly for this method to be useful.
Method 3: Via Third-Party Applications
There are several third-party applications in the market that claim to recover deleted messages on WhatsApp. However, these applications come with a risk as they may contain malware or viruses. Therefore, it’s crucial to ensure that you download these applications from reliable sources only.
- Download a reliable third-party application from the Google Play Store.
- Launch the application and follow the on-screen instructions.
- The application will run a scan on your device to search for deleted WhatsApp messages.
- Once the scan is complete, you can preview the deleted messages, and if you find the one you were looking for, you can restore it to your WhatsApp chat history.
- Third-party applications provide a quick and easy way to recover deleted WhatsApp messages.
- These applications are generally free to download.
- Third-party applications may contain malware or viruses.
- There is a risk of data theft when using these applications.
- Some applications may require rooting or jailbreaking your device.
Method 4: Via Notification History
If you’re an Android user and the Notification Log option is not available on your device, you can use the Notification History feature to recover deleted messages on WhatsApp. You can follow the steps below to use this method.
- Long-press on your home screen.
- Tap on ‘Widgets.’
- Scroll down, find, and select ‘Activities.’
- Look for the option ‘Settings’ and drag that to your home screen.
- Now, scroll down until you see ‘Notification log’ and select it.
- Next, open the widget and scroll down to find the deleted message notification.
- Tap on the notification, and it will take you to the chat window where you can read the deleted message.
- You can still recover deleted messages even if the Notification Log option is not available on your device.
- The Notification History option may not be available on every phone.
Method 5: Via PC
If you frequently use WhatsApp on your PC, you’ll be happy to know that it’s possible to recover deleted messages on WhatsApp using your computer.
- Open the WhatsApp web version on your computer.
- Click on the chat message with the deleted message that you want to access.
- Next, click on the back button and select the "Inspect" option from your browser’s context menu.
- A new window with the web page source code will appear.
- Search for "class="message-list" in the code.
- Disable the line by typing "display:none" in the inspector window.
- The hidden message will now appear in the chat history.
- This method allows you to recover deleted messages using your computer.
- You need to have access to a PC to use this method.
- This method requires you to have knowledge of web development.
Why Can’t I Read Deleted Messages on WhatsApp?
There are several reasons why you may not be able to read a deleted message, including:
1. Lack of Notification Log on iPhone:
Notification Log is only available on Android devices, which means that if you’re using an iPhone, you won’t be able to read a deleted WhatsApp message using the Notification Log method.
2. Notification Settings:
If your notification settings for WhatsApp are turned off, you won’t receive notifications for new messages, which includes deleted messages.
3. The Message Is Too Old:
If you take too long to try and recover a deleted message, the Notification Log will no longer have it saved. Notification Log usually keeps deleted messages for a few hours only.
If you can’t read deleted messages on WhatsApp, try the following fixes:
1. Notification Settings
Go to your phone’s settings and check if the notification settings for WhatsApp are turned on. If not, turn them on, and you’ll start receiving notifications for new messages.
2. Update WhatsApp:
If your WhatsApp is not up-to-date, then you might not be able to read deleted WhatsApp messages. Update WhatsApp to the latest version and try again.
3. Reinstall WhatsApp:
If nothing else works, you can try uninstalling and reinstalling WhatsApp. This process can restore the latest messages, including the deleted ones.
Implications and Recommendations
Reading deleted messages on WhatsApp may breach the privacy of the person who sent it, and it’s essential to be careful when using these methods. If you’re going to use third-party applications, make sure they are from reliable sources to avoid data theft or malware infections. It’s always best to talk to the person who sent the deleted message and ask them for an explanation instead of snooping around their messages.
- Backup your WhatsApp chats regularly to avoid losing important messages.
- Turn on your phone’s Notification settings to receive notifications for new messages.
- Be respectful of other people’s privacy, and don’t misuse these methods to snoop or invade people’s personal lives.
5 FAQs about Reading Deleted Messages on WhatsApp
Q1: Can I recover deleted messages on WhatsApp if I don’t have a backup?
A: Unfortunately, once a message is deleted on WhatsApp, you won’t be able to recover it without a backup.
Q2: Is it legal to read deleted messages on WhatsApp?
A: It’s not illegal to read deleted messages on WhatsApp, but it can be seen as morally and ethically wrong as it involves breach of privacy.
Q3: Will the person who sent the deleted message know if I have read it?
A: No, if you retrieve a deleted message, the person who deleted it will not receive any notification or alert.
Q4: Is it safe to download third-party applications to recover deleted messages on WhatsApp?
A: Some third-party applications may contain malware or viruses, and it’s essential to download them from reliable sources only.
Q5: Is it possible to recover deleted messages on WhatsApp without using third-party applications?
A: Yes, you can use the Notification Log feature on your Android device to recover deleted WhatsApp messages.
WhatsApp has become an essential part of our lives, and we use it to communicate with our friends, family, and colleagues. It’s natural to be curious about the deleted messages and want to read them. However, it’s important to ensure that you respect other people’s privacy and use these methods responsibly. Always remember that if you want to know something, the best way is to ask someone politely instead of snooping around their messages.