Snapchat is one of the most popular social media platforms worldwide among young people. The app allows you to send and receive photos, videos, and messages, which disappear after they are viewed. However, sometimes we accidentally delete important chats and snaps that we wish to retrieve back. This blog post will discuss how to look at deleted chats on Snapchat and provide you with step-by-step methods to recover your lost messages.
The Challenge of Looking at Deleted Chats on Snapchat
The most significant challenge when trying to retrieve deleted chats on Snapchat is that once you delete the message, it disappears from your phone and Snapchat servers. The snap or message is gone for good, and there is no way to recover it on your device. There are no settings on the app that enable you to retrieve the data, and the servers do not save them for long. However, fortunately, there are alternative methods that help you overcome this issue.
Things You Should Prepare for
Before we dive into the methods, there are specific things you should prepare to ensure the highest chances of retrieving your deleted snaps:
– First, you should stop using Snapchat immediately to avoid overwriting your data. Every time you use your phone and Snapchat, you create new data and reduce your chances of recovering the old data.
– Second, you should back up your Snapchat data regularly. This is important to ensure you have a copy of all messages, snaps, and photos.
– Finally, you should download and install reliable recovery software or apps if you don’t already have them on your device. There are various options available for both iOS and Android devices.
Method 1: Via Phone’s Cache Files (Android)
If you’re using Snapchat on an Android device, you can try to retrieve deleted chat logs by going to your phone’s cache files. Here’s how:
1. First, download and install a file manager app on your phone. ES File Explorer is a popular option.
2. Next, open the ES file explorer app and navigate to the folder named ‘Android.’
3. Select ‘Data’ and then choose ‘com.snapchat.android’ from the list of files and folders.
4. In this folder, you will find a folder named ‘cache.’ Inside this folder, look for files named ‘saved_snaps.xml’ and ‘received_snaps.xml.’
5. Select both files and then transfer them to your computer or upload them to a cloud service.
Pros: This method is free, and you don’t need any additional recovery software.
Cons: It is only available for Android users, and there is no guarantee that you will find your deleted chat logs from the cache files.
Method 2: Via Recovery Software (iOS)
If you’re using Snapchat on an iOS device, the most practical method to retrieve your deleted chats is by using recovery software. Here’s how:
1. First, download and install an iOS recovery software on your computer. There are several options, such as Dr.Fone, EaseUS MobiSaver, and iMyFone D-Back.
2. Connect your iOS device to your computer and launch the recovery software.
3. Select ‘Snapchat’ from the list of apps and then click on ‘Start Scan.’
4. Once the scan is complete, you will see a preview of the deleted chats and snaps.
5. Select the deleted chats you want to recover and then click on ‘Recover.’
Pros: This method is available for iOS users, and you can recover deleted chats with high success rates.
Cons: You have to pay for recovery software, and not all recovery software is reliable.
Method 3: Via Third-Party Apps (Both iOS and Android)
Another option for retrieving deleted Snapchat chats is by using third-party apps. Here’s how:
1. First, download and install a third-party app on your device. Some popular options are Dumpster, Undeleter, and DiskDigger.
2. Launch the app and select the Snapchat folder from the list of apps or folders.
3. Choose the deleted chat logs that you want to recover and then click on ‘Restore.’
4. Finally, wait for the app to complete the recovery process.
Pros: This method is available for both iOS and Android users, and the apps are usually free to download.
Cons: Using third-party apps carries some risks, such as installing malware on your device or collecting your personal data.
Why Can’t I Look at Deleted Chats on Snapchat?
There are several reasons why you can’t retrieve deleted chats on Snapchat. Here are a few possibilities:
1. Snapchat automatically deletes unopened messages and snaps after 30 days.
2. Snapchat deletes opened messages and snaps as soon as they are viewed.
3. If you have cleared the chat, the conversation history will be erased, and you won’t be able to retrieve them.
4. If you have logged out of your Snapchat account or uninstalled the app, the chat history will be deleted from the server.
However, don’t worry, the methods we provided earlier in this article can help you overcome these challenges and retrieve your lost data.
Here are some additional tips you can follow to increase your chances of retrieving deleted Snapchat chats:
– If you have a rooted Android device, you can use recovery apps like Titanium Backup or NANDroid to recover deleted data.
– You can save important messages by using the ‘Chat’ feature on Snapchat. This will save all messages and snaps even after they expire.
– Take screenshots of important conversations and snaps before deleting them.
5 FAQs about Looking at Deleted Chats on Snapchat
Q1: Can I retrieve old Snapchat conversations?
A: Yes, you can retrieve old Snapchat conversations by using recovery software, third-party apps, or going through your phone’s cache files.
Q2: How long does Snapchat keep deleted messages?
A: Snapchat keeps deleted messages for 30 days before they are permanently deleted from the server.
Q3: Can Snapchat see your deleted messages?
A: No, Snapchat does not see your deleted messages, and they cannot retrieve them once you delete them.
Q4: Can I retrieve a deleted snap?
A: You can retrieve a deleted snap by using recovery software or a third-party app. However, it’s essential to remember that Snapchat does not have a feature to retrieve deleted snaps.
Q5: What happens when you clear a chat on Snapchat?
A: When you clear a chat on Snapchat, the conversation history is erased, and you won’t be able to retrieve its data.
In conclusion, we understand how stressful it can be to delete important messages and snaps on Snapchat accidentally. However, we have provided three methods to retrieve deleted chats and discussed the reasons why you can’t look at deleted chats on Snapchat. Remember to prepare yourself and avoid using Snapchat after deleting chats to increase your chances of recovering lost data. If you have any questions, follow the additional tips or refer to the FAQs to help you further.