In this digital era, mobile devices have become an integral part of our lives, and we use them for various purposes. One of the common uses includes capturing moments through photos and videos. When it comes to capturing photos, smartphones, especially iPhones, are one of the top choices for many people. However, once the phone’s storage fills up, transferring photos to a computer becomes necessary. This blog post will guide you on how to import photos from your iPhone and delete them from your phone to free up space.
Why You Need to Import Photos from iPhone And Delete from Phone
There are several reasons why you might want to import photos from your iPhone and delete them from your phone, including:
- To free up storage space on your iPhone: Over time, photos and videos can take up a significant amount of storage on your iPhone, leaving little or no space for new files. By transferring photos to your computer and deleting them from your phone, you can free up space for other files.
- To keep a backup of your photos: It’s always a good idea to have a backup of your photos to avoid losing them in case of accidental deletion or phone damage. By importing photos to your computer, you can keep a backup copy.
- To edit and share photos easier: Although the iPhone’s native photos app is excellent, editing and sharing photos might be more comfortable on a computer, depending on the user’s preference and software availability.
Method 1: Using iTunes to Import Photos from iPhone
iTunes is the official software provided by Apple to manage and transfer media files between Apple devices and Windows computer. Here are the steps to import photos from your iPhone using iTunes:
- Connect your iPhone to your computer using a lightning cable.
- Launch iTunes on your computer and select your iPhone icon from the top left corner of iTunes.
- Click on "Photos" from the left-hand sidebar.
- Select the checkbox beside "Sync Photos."
- Choose the "Copy photos from" option and select "Choose folder."
- Select the destination folder on your computer where you want to save the imported photos.
- Click on "Apply" at the bottom of the iTunes window to start importing photos.
- Official software provided by Apple.
- Easy to use and straightforward steps.
- Users need to install the iTunes app on their computer to use this method.
- Transferring photos using iTunes might take longer than other methods due to the app’s features and bulkiness.
Method 2: Using iCloud to Import Photos from iPhone
iCloud is a cloud-based storage platform provided by Apple that enables users to store and access their media files across multiple devices seamlessly. Here are the steps to import photos from your iPhone using iCloud:
- Ensure your iPhone is connected to Wi-Fi.
- Open the "Settings" app on your iPhone and select your name at the top of the menu.
- Select "iCloud" from the menu and tap on "Photos."
- Enable "iCloud Photos" and select the "Download and Keep Originals" option.
- Wait for the photos to upload to your iCloud account. This might take a while depending on the number of photos and your internet connection.
- Visit the iCloud website on your computer and log in to your account.
- Select "Photos" from the menu to view your uploaded photos.
- Select the photos you want to import and click the download button at the top right corner of the window.
- Users don’t need to install any software on their computer to use this method.
- Users can access their imported photos from any device with the iCloud app installed.
- Users need a stable internet connection to upload and download photos using iCloud.
- Users need to ensure there’s enough iCloud storage space to avoid interruptions while uploading or downloading photos.
Method 3: Using Third-Party Apps to Import Photos from iPhone
Several third-party apps can be used to transfer media files between iPhones and computers. However, this method requires users to be extra cautious when it comes to selecting the app to use. Here are the steps to import photos from your iPhone using a third-party app:
- Research and select a reputable third-party app to use.
- Download and install the app on your computer.
- Launch the app and connect your iPhone to your computer using a lightning cable.
- Follow the on-screen prompts on the app to import photos from your iPhone.
- Once the import process is complete, you can disconnect your iPhone from your computer.
- Third-party apps might offer additional features not present in native iPhone apps.
- Less bulky compared to iTunes.
- Users need to be extra cautious when selecting and using third-party apps due to security and privacy concerns.
- Since different apps might have different settings and interfaces, users need to adapt to the app’s setting before importing photos.
What to Do If You Can’t Import Photos from iPhone And Delete from Phone
If you’re having trouble importing photos from your iPhone or deleting them from your phone, here are some fixes you can try:
- Restart your iPhone and computer and try again.
- Ensure you’re using a stable internet connection when using methods that require internet connectivity.
- Update iTunes and iCloud to the latest version.
- Ensure your iPhone isn’t locked when trying to import photos using iTunes.
To prevent storage clutter on your iPhone, consider deleting unwanted or unnecessary photos periodically. You can also use cloud-based storage platforms like Google Drive, Dropbox, or OneDrive to store and access your photos remotely.
Q1: How Do I Delete Photos from My iPhone After Importing Them?
A: After importing photos, you can delete them from your iPhone in two ways. One, you can delete them using the iPhone’s native photos app by selecting and deleting individual photos or multiple photos simultaneously. Alternatively, you can enable the "Delete items after import" option when importing photos using iTunes or other third-party apps.
Q2: Can I Recover Deleted iPhone Photos?
A: Yes, if you have a backup of your photos on iCloud or iTunes, you can restore the deleted photos. Alternatively, you can use recovery software like EaseUS MobiSaver or Disk Drill to recover lost or deleted iPhone photos.
Q3: Is It Safe to Use Third-Party Apps to Import Photos from My iPhone?
A: Using third-party apps can be risky as some apps might contain malware or spyware that can compromise your data’s security. It’s advisable to use reputable and trusted apps with good user reviews and ratings.
Q4: Do I Need to Pay for iCloud Storage to Import Photos from My iPhone?
A: If you have a free iCloud account, the storage space might be limited, which might affect the number of photos you can upload. You might need to pay for a premium iCloud storage subscription to increase your storage space.
Q5: Can I Import Photos from My iPhone to a Windows Computer?
A: Yes, you can use the same methods and tools discussed in this blog post to import photos from your iPhone to a Windows computer.
With the methods discussed in this blog post, importing photos from your iPhone and deleting them from your phone becomes a breeze. However, it’s crucial to select the method that suits your preferences, available tools, and skills to avoid inconveniences. Remember to back up your photos periodically to keep them safe and secure.