As smartphones have become an essential part of our lives, we store all our important data on them, including call logs. But sometimes we accidentally delete call logs, and it may create an urgent need to recover them. In this blog, we will discuss various methods to recover deleted call logs from Android devices.
The Challenge of Recovering Deleted Call Logs on Android
Recovering deleted call logs from an Android device can be a daunting task for many users. The reason is that there is no inbuilt feature to do this on Android. Moreover, Android devices do not have a recycle bin like a computer, making it harder to recover deleted files. However, there are several methods that we can follow to get back our deleted call logs.
Things You Should Prepare for
To recover deleted call logs from an Android device, there are a few things you should prepare:
- A computer or laptop
- A reliable and secure data recovery software
- A USB cable to connect your Android device to the computer
- Android device user name and password for accessing device system files
Method 1: Via Android call logging app
Android has an inbuilt app called Call Log or Phone Log, where the device stores call details. Even if you delete the logs, the app keeps them for a specified period. To recover deleted call logs from the app, follow the steps below:
- Open the ‘Phone’ app on your Android device
- Click on the three dots icon or the more button
- Click on the ‘Call Log’ option
- Select ‘Recently deleted’
- Select the call logs you want to recover
- Click on the restore button
- It’s a built-in feature and safe
- Easy and straightforward steps
- You can only retrieve the call logs deleted within the last seven days
- You may lose your data if you delay the recovery process
Method 2: Using Android data recovery software
If the call logs are not present in the call log app’s ‘Recently deleted’ folder, then the best option is to use Android data recovery software that can help recover lost or deleted call logs. There are many free and paid Android data recovery software options available online. The steps to recover deleted call logs using such software are:
- Download and install a reliable Android data recovery software on a computer (like EaseUS MobiSaver or FoneDog toolkit- Android Data Recovery )
- Connect your Android device to the computer via a USB cable
- Enable the USB debugging option on your Android device
- Launch the software and start scanning your device for the lost or deleted call logs
- After the scanning process is complete, select and preview the call logs you want to recover
- Click on the ‘recover’ button
- Can recover data deleted long ago
- Can recover data from a damaged device
- Not all software guarantees 100% success
- The successful data recovery process depends on the device type
Method 3: Via Google account
If you have synced your smartphone with your Google account, you can recover deleted call logs from your Google’s history. The following steps can help you with the process:
- Login to your Google account on a computer or laptop
- Click on the ‘My Activity’ option located on the left-hand side of your screen
- Click on the ‘Other Google Activity’ option
- Click on ‘Voice & audio’ option
- Click on the ‘Filter’ option
- Select ‘Call’ under the product option, and choose the date to retrieve call logs from
- Easy and can access deleted call logs from any device linked to your Google account
- Data recovery process is completely free
- You can only retrieve data within 21 to 28 days depending on your privacy settings in Google account
- If you have not synced your Android device with the Google account, this method won’t work
Why Can’t I Get Deleted Call Logs Back on Android
There are many reasons we might not be able to recover deleted call logs from Android. Some common ones are:
1. Device hardware damage
A damaged Android device can prevent users from accessing their call logs.
Fix: Try using a different Android device or repair the damaged device’s hardware to recover call logs.
2. Call logs overwritten
When you add new data to the Android device after deleting call logs, the devices might overwrite the deleted data.
Fix: As soon as the call logs are deleted, stop using the device immediately and start using a recovery software to recover them.
3. Incorrect method used
Using incorrect or wrong methods of data recovery can result in not getting back the deleted call logs.
Fix: Choose the correct method from the ones mentioned above or seek help from an expert technician or software engineer to recover the data.
- Backup your call logs regularly to avoid loss of data
- Avoid saving call logs on the internal storage of your Android device, use an SD card instead
- Close and exit the phone’s call log or phone call history app before turning off or restarting the device because it can clean up the call log data automatically.
- Remove your SD card safely each time you disconnect it from your Android device to prevent data loss
5 FAQs about Recovering Deleted Call Logs on Android
Q1: Are the recovered call logs authentic?
A: Yes, the recovered call logs are authentic, and the software or Google account only retrieves deleted files from the device’s memory. They are not from any other unknown sources.
Q2: Can I access the recovered call logs without a password?
A: No, you cannot access recovered call logs without the device’s password. The device system files can only be accessed after the successful verification of the device’s password.
Q3: How long does the recovery process take?
A: The time to recover deleted call logs depends on the method you choose and the extent of data loss. Sometimes the process can be completed within minutes, and sometimes it can take hours.
Q4: How much does data recovery software cost?
A: The cost varies depending on many factors like software quality, the extent of recovery, and service provider. However, both free and paid versions are available online.
Q5: Can data recovery software harm my device?
A: No, data recovery software designed explicitly for Android devices does not affect your device’s hardware or software. But make sure to use a reliable and safe data recovery software to prevent malware and virus infection.
Losing call logs can be a stressful experience, but now that you know various methods to recover them, it shouldn’t be. Try the methods explained above to recover your lost call logs from the Android device. Remember to back up your call logs regularly to avoid data loss in the future.