To lose important contacts on our iPhones is not only unfortunate but it is also frustrating. But, not to worry, because, with the advancement in technology, today, you can easily recover lost iPhone contacts. Retrieving the lost contacts on your iPhone is a simple process. Below, we will guide you on the simple methods that you can use to recover all your deleted contacts on your iPhone.
To recover lost iPhone contacts, you will need to have:
- A computer running on either Windows or Mac
- iTunes software installed on your computer
- An iPhone USB cable
What requires your focus?
Before we get into the nitty-gritty of how to retrieve lost contacts on your iPhone, there are a few things you need to focus on. Firstly, you need to turn off your Wi-Fi and cellular data to prevent the syncing of your iPhone to iCloud or iTunes. This prevents overwriting of data, and the chances of losing the deleted contacts are significantly reduced. Secondly, stop using your iPhone, as continued use or adding new contacts to it can overwrite your deleted contacts.
Method 1: Recover Deleted Contacts from iTunes Backup
Step 1: Open iTunes and Connect Your iPhone
Open the iTunes app on your desktop and connect your iPhone to your computer using the USB cable. If iTunes does not open automatically, look for the iPhone icon, click it, and then click the ‘Summary’ tab.
- The backup process is easy and straightforward.
- You can choose the specific data you wish to recover from the backup
- It is a reliable method of data recovery
- You need to have a previous backup
- The backup may be outdated
- It does not allow partial recovery of contacts, meaning that you may retrieve unnecessary information
Step 2: Choose ‘Restore Backup’
Click on ‘Restore Backup’ on the iTunes summary screen. iTunes allows you to choose the backup file to be restored. Select the backup that you suspect may have the contacts you want to restore and begin the recovery process.
Step 3: Wait for the Restore Process to Finish
Wait for the backup restore process to complete. Depending on the size of the backup file, the process can take a few minutes or an hour. Once the phone restarts, the lost contacts would have been restored to your iPhone.
Method 2: Recover Deleted Contacts via iCloud Backup
Step 1: Visit iCloud and Sign In
Go to iCloud.com and sign in using your Apple ID and password.
- The process only requires an internet connection
- You can choose the data you want to restore
- It is an easy and straightforward method
- You need to have the iCloud backup turned on
- It may take longer to recover contact from an iCloud backup compared to an iTunes backup
- It may overwrite your current data if not done correctly, leading to loss of data
Step 2: Choose the iCloud Backup File to Restore from
On the iCloud dashboard, click on Settings, and then select the "Restore contacts" tab. Select the backup file that has the lost contacts, after which you’ll be prompted to merge the current contacts on your phone with the ones from the iCloud backup.
Step 3: Wait for the Restore Process to Complete
Wait for the restore process to complete fully. Once the process is completed, the contacts you recovered will be available on your iPhone contacts app.
Method 3: Recover Deleted Contacts via Third-Party Software
Step 1: Install and Launch a Trusted Third-Party Data Recovery Software
You can use trusted third-party software like Tenorshare UltData, EaseUS MobiSaver or Dr. Fone to recover lost contacts. After downloading the software and installing it on your computer, launch the program and connect your iPhone to the computer.
Step 2: Identify Your iPhone and Start the Scanning Process
The software will detect your iPhone, and you’ll need to click on the ‘Start Scan’ button to begin scanning lost contacts. The scanning process can take several minutes, depending on the size of your iPhone’s storage.
- It is an easy and straightforward method
- You can recover a wide range of lost data, not only contacts
- Allows for a preview of recoverable files before recovering.
- The third-party software may be unreliable if not from a trusted source
- Some software may not be free, and you may need to purchase it to recover your lost data
- The scanning process can be time-consuming
Step 3: Select and Recover the Lost Contacts
After the scanning process is complete, you’ll be able to access the lost contacts from the software’s interface. Choose the contacts you wish to recover and then click on the ‘Recover’ button to save them to your computer. Once saved on your computer, transfer them via iTunes sync or email them to yourself to add them to your phone’s contacts.
Why Can’t I Find my Deleted Contacts?
Losing contacts on your iPhone can be frustrating at times, and the reasons you may not be able to recover them may include:
1. Contacts are permanently deleted: If you don’t keep regular backups, your contacts may be permanently lost as they may have been overwritten by new data.
2. Corrupted backups: A corrupted backup file may not allow you to recover lost contacts.
3. No contact sync: If you didn’t sync your contacts with other devices or iCloud, there may be no backup to retrieve.
1. Regularly backup your contacts to iCloud or your computer
2. Be cautious when installing third-party apps, and only download them from reputable sources.
3. Consider installing a lost phone recovery app in case your phone gets stolen or misplaced.
Implications and Recommendations
In conclusion, losing contacts on your iPhone is an unfortunate occurrence, but it shouldn’t be stressful. With the above methods, it’s easy to recover the lost contacts effectively. However, to prevent scenarios of losing important data, it’s highly recommended that you keep your iPhone contacts backed up regularly. Whether you prefer iCloud or local iTunes backup is entirely up to you but make it a habit to keep the backups current and up-to-date.
Q1: Will restoring my iPhone from a backup erase my other data?
A1: Yes, when you restore your iPhone from a backup file, all of your data will be erased and replaced by the data stored on the backup file.
Q2: How long does it take to recover lost contacts using third-party software?
A2: The process of scanning your iPhone’s storage depends on the amount of data stored on your phone and can take several minutes or hours.
Q3: Is it safe to use third-party software to retrieve lost contact on my iPhone?
A3: Using third-party software is safe, provided that you download the software from a reputable source.
Q4: Can I undo a Restore from backup?
A4: No, you cannot undo the restore process to an earlier backup once initiated. Therefore, to prevent data loss, always make a backup of your iPhone’s data before initiating the restore process.
Q5: Can I recover contacts that I deleted a long time ago?
A5: Yes, you can recover contacts that you deleted a long time ago. The backup method you decide to use will depend on when you last made a backup of your iPhone data.