Keyboard history is a feature that can be both handy and inconvenient at the same time. It can help you to find the words you frequently use and suggest the next words you want to use. However, the feature can sometimes become a liability if you allow someone else to use your device or if you want to protect your privacy. The good thing is that it is possible to delete your keyboard history so that it doesn’t fall into the wrong hands.
In this blog post, we will be focusing on how to delete the phone keyboard history on an Android device. We will cover the various methods that can be used to delete the keyboard history. We will also provide some tips in case you encounter some difficulties while using any of the methods.
Why You Need to Delete Phone Keyboard History on Android
Deleting phone keyboard history on Android is essential for various reasons which include:
1. Protects your privacy: Keyboard history can sometimes store personal information such as login credentials, search terms, and messages. Deleting the keyboard history makes it more difficult for anyone to access your private information.
2. Free up space: Your keyboard history can take up some storage space on your device. Deleting it ensures that you free up the space it was occupying.
3. Improve device performance: Deleting the keyboard history regularly can help to improve the overall performance of your device.
Method 1: Clear Keyboard History using the Gboard App
The Gboard app is a popular keyboard app for Android devices. It is pre-installed on some devices, while others may need to install it from the Google Play Store. Here are the steps to delete your keyboard history using the Gboard app:
1. Open the Gboard app on your device
2. Tap on the ‘Settings’ icon
3. Select ‘Dictionary’ on the settings page
4. Tap on ‘Delete learned words’
5. Tap on ‘Delete’ on the dialog box that pops up to confirm your action.
– Deleting the keyboard history using the Gboard app is a straightforward process.
– The app is available for free on the Google Play Store.
– You can also learn how to type faster using the Gboard app.
– You may experience some issues while using the app such as lags and freezes.
Method 2: Clear Keyboard History using Android System Settings
This method involves accessing your device settings and clearing the keyboard data. Follow the steps below to clear keyboard history using Android System Settings:
1. Open the ‘Settings’ app on your device
2. Select ‘Apps’
3. Find and select the keyboard app you are using
4. Tap on ‘Storage’
5. Select ‘Clear Data’
6. Confirm the action by tapping on ‘OK’.
– Clearing keyboard history using system settings is easy and can be done without downloading additional apps.
– You can also clear other app data that you are not using to create more storage space.
– If you don’t check the box for ‘Clear cache’, your device may not free up enough storage space
Method 3: Change Keyboard to Delete Keyboard History on Android
If you are still having difficulty deleting your keyboard history, you can opt to change your keyboard app to get rid of the data. Here’s how to change your keyboard app and delete keyboard history:
1. Go to the Google Play Store and search for a new keyboard app
2. Install the new keyboard app
3. Set up the keyboard app as the default keyboard on your device
4. Go to the app settings of the new keyboard app and clear the keyboard history
– Changing the keyboard may help to resolve keyboard history issues, and you may also find a new alternative you love.
– It’s an effective option if you’ve tried and fail to delete keyboard history another way.
– Changing the keyboard app may take some getting used to, and you may need to learn new shortcuts and typing methods.
What to Do If You Can’t Delete Your Phone Keyboard History on Android
Some users may find it challenging to delete the keyboard history on their device using the above methods. Here are a few quick fixes if you find yourself having difficulty:
1. Restart your device: Sometimes a simple restart may resolve the issue you’re having.
2. Update your keyboard app: Ensure you are using the latest version of your keyboard app as the latest updates come with improvements and bug fixes.
3. Clear cache: Clearing cache can free up storage space and may help to resolve some issues with your device.
You can also customize your keyboard settings to help protect your privacy by disabling the keyboard history or setting it to delete automatically.
Q1: Why is my keyboard history not deleting?
A: If your keyboard history is not deleting, it may be due to a bug or glitch in the app. Try the methods listed above or consider uninstalling and then reinstalling the keyboard app.
Q2: Does deleting the keyboard history delete the dictionary too?
A: Yes. Deleting the keyboard history also deletes the dictionary. You will need to relearn words and phrases you may have frequently used.
Q3: Will deleting my keyboard history affect my typing speed and accuracy?
A: No. Deleting the keyboard history won’t adversely affect your typing speed and accuracy. You will need to teach the keyboard new words to suggest the next time you’re typing.
Q4: Why is my keyboard history reappearing after deleting it?
A: If your keyboard history keeps reappearing after deleting it, it may be because you haven’t cleared cache. Clearing the cache can help to prevent the keyboard history from reappearing.
Q5: Will deleting the keyboard history files affect other app data?
A: No. Deleting keyboard history files won’t affect other app data. However, you may notice some performance improvement after freeing up storage space.
Deleting phone keyboard history on an Android device is a simple and quick process. You can use any of the methods listed above to clear your keyboard history. If you encounter any difficulty while trying to delete your keyboard history, try the quick fixes we have provided. Remember to personalize your device’s keyboard settings to protect your privacy.