Windows 10 is an advanced operating system that offers great features and performs better than its older versions. However, as you use your computer, you may accumulate unnecessary files, folders, and temporary files, that unnecessarily occupy your computer’s storage space, slowing it down to an unbearable pace. In this guide, we’re going to explore the various ways of deleting junk files in Windows 10, making it run as effectively as it was when you first bought it.
Why You Need to Delete Junk Files in Windows 10
The more junk files there are on your computer, the slower and more inefficient it becomes. Your computer’s performance may decline as it continues to accumulate these unnecessary files. However, deleting the junk files speeds up your computer, making it perform faster. Plus, it also helps free up storage space, improving your computer’s overall space management. These are just two of the many reasons why you should delete junk files on your Windows 10 computer.
Method 1: Using Disk Cleanup
Disk Cleanup is a default feature that comes with Windows 10 that lets you remove temporary files and more. Follow these steps to delete and remove unnecessary files:
1. Go to the search box located next to the Windows logo and type ‘Disk Cleanup’ and press ‘enter’.
2. Choose the drive you want to free up space on and select ‘OK’.
3. Wait for the utility to calculate the amount of free space.
4. Select the items you want to remove then choose ‘OK’. Examples of files you can delete include, Thumbnails, Recycle Bin, Temporary Internet Files, Setup Log Files, and Delivery Optimization Files.
– Easy to use as it comes pre-installed on Windows 10
– It’s free and requires minimal effort
– It cleans up most of the junk files that you may want to remove from your computer
– It may not delete all the junk files
– It doesn’t give options to delete specific files. It only has defined categories.
Method 2: Using Windows Storage Sense
Windows Storage Sense is another built-in functionality that helps clean up the junk files from the computer. Here is how to turn on and use Windows Storage Sense:
1. Click on Start and select Settings.
2. Choose the ‘System’ option in the settings dialog box.
3. Click on ‘Storage’ in the left-hand pane.
4. Turn on the toggle switch for ‘Storage Sense’.
5. Select the frequency for system clean-up; like deleting temporary files, recycle bin, and old downloads after specific periods.
– It’s built-in on Windows 10 operating system
– It offers automatic registry cleaner
– It deletes JUNK files continuously and improves system performance
– It only deletes junk files from certain locations like Recycle Bin, Downloads folder, etc.
– It might remove files/programs that you may have personal preference for; (ie Recycle Bin).
Method 3: Using a Third-Party App Such as CCleaner
CCleaner is a powerful yet straightforward utility that you can use to clear out files you don’t need or remove programs that you no longer use. Follow these steps to delete junk files:
1. Download and install CCleaner from their official website.
2. Run the app and select "Cleaner" on the left-hand pane.
3. Select the items you want to remove.
4. Click on the "Run Cleaner" button.
– The program is free and easy to set up
– It provides the option to remove specific items
– It has regular updates to improve its functionality
– It may require a purchase of premium features to use
– Users must exercise caution when selecting items to delete; the wrong move could lead to deleting essential files.
What to Do If You Can’t Delete Junk Files in Windows 10
If none of the methods we’ve explained has worked, it’s essential to seek additional help. Seek expert advice or guidance from Microsoft customer support as they can give you a better diagnosis and solution to your specific issue. Another option would be to manually delete the files by backing up everything to an external device, then wiping the system clean, and reinstalling the essential applications.
Windows 10 has its built-in antivirus called the Windows Defender Security Center. Run a full virus scan as it also helps identify and delete malware or malicious files on your computer.
Q1: How Can I Disable Windows 10 Junk Files Cleanup Options?
A: You can’t turn it off entirely, but you can customize its settings by following these steps: Go to ‘Start – Settings – System – Storage – Configure Storage Sense or run it now.’
Q2: How often should I delete junk files?
A: We recommend that cleaning junk files be done at least once a month.
Q3: What is taking up so much space on my Windows 10 Computer?
A: Junk files, old downloads, and temporary files are some reasons that exhaust your system’s storage.
Q4: Does cleaning junk files speed up the computer?
A: Yes, it does.
Q5: Do I need a third-party app to delete junk files?
A: No, you don’t. Windows has some built-in functionalities such as Disk Cleanup and Storage Sense that can be used to delete junk files. However, third-party applications can be used for a more thorough clean up.
As your Windows 10 computer continues to age, you may start experiencing dragged performance plagued by unnecessary junk files and programs. Cleaning junk files can be a daunting task, but it’s worth it to open up space on your PC and speed up the overall system performance. With the various methods shared in this post, you are sure to find one that works best for you. Regular cleaning of junk files is crucial, and it’s essential to remember that the battle against junk files is an ongoing process rather than a one-time event. Remember to seek additional help if need be, and stay safe with a full-system virus scan.