On an Android device, there are times when you may find yourself using certain words or phrases very frequently – whether it’s for messaging, emailing, or for any other reason. This can become quite bothersome; it may take up too much time to type out these words every time, or the auto-correct feature may begin to replace common words with less commonly used ones. This is where deleting frequently used words on your Android device comes in. In this blog post, we will discuss the different methods to delete frequently used words on your Android device, along with why you may want to do so.
To delete frequently used words on an Android device, you will need the following things:
1. An Android device
2. A stable internet connection
3. Some free storage space on your device
What Requires Your Focus?
Before we get started with the different methods to delete frequently used words on an Android device, it’s important to know that this process may be different on different Android versions or devices. Hence, you’ll need to pay attention to the instructions and steps mentioned for your device and version. Additionally, make sure to create a backup of all your important data before proceeding with any method as deleting frequently used words may result in the loss of all your saved data. Finally, follow all the steps carefully and double-check before confirming anything to avoid any errors or unwanted consequences.
Different Methods to Delete Frequently Used Words on Android
Here are three different methods to delete frequently used words on your Android device –
Method 1: Using Gboard Settings
Deleting frequently used words using Gboard settings is a quick and easy method. Follow these steps to delete frequently used words using Gboard settings:
1. Open any app where you can type such as messaging, email, or anywhere else.
2. Click on the ‘text field’ and start typing the word you want to delete.
3. As you type, you’ll see the word prediction suggestions from Gboard – scroll down to find the word you want to delete.
4. Long-press the word which you want to remove from suggestions.
5. Click on ‘Delete’ from the pop-up that appears.
6. A notification will appear on your screen confirming that the word has been deleted from your Gboard dictionary.
Pros: Quick and easy, no need for additional software or settings.
Cons: This method can be time-consuming if you have multiple words to delete.
Method 2: Using Google’s Personal Dictionary
The second method is to delete frequently used words from your Android device’s Google personal dictionary. Here are the steps to delete frequently used words using Google’s personal dictionary:
1. Open ‘Settings’ on your Android device and scroll down to ‘Language & input’.
2. Click on ‘Personal dictionary’.
3. Find the language for which you want to delete the word, click on it, and then click on ‘Edit’.
4. Find the word you want to delete and click on the ‘X’ button next to it.
5. A notification will appear on your screen confirming that the word has been deleted from your Google personal dictionary.
Pros: Easy to access, quick to delete multiple words.
Cons: The process may vary from device to device, settings may be difficult to locate.
Method 3: Using a Third-Party App (TouchPal)
The third and final method to delete frequently used words on your Android device is by using a third-party app such as TouchPal Keyboard. Follow these steps to delete frequently used words using TouchPal:
1. Install and open the TouchPal Keyboard app on your Android device.
2. Click on the three-line icon on the top left corner of the screen, then click on ‘General’.
3. Click on the ‘User Words’ option.
4. Find the word you want to delete and long-press on it.
5. Click on the ‘Delete’ option and confirm.
Pros: Can delete multiple words at once, option to backup and restore.
Cons: Requires installation of third-party app, may take up additional storage space on the device.
Why Can’t I Delete Frequently Used Words on Android?
There can be several reasons why you might not be able to delete frequently used words on your Android device – some of these reasons are:
1. The word might be a part of the auto-correct feature and cannot be deleted.
2. The word may be a default part of the device’s dictionary and cannot be deleted.
3. You may not have the required permissions to delete frequently used words.
To fix these issues, try turning off the auto-correct feature, disabling or updating the keyboard software, or gaining root access to the device.
Implications and Recommendations
Deleting frequently used words from your Android device can save you both time and effort. It can also be useful if you don’t want to accidentally send an incorrect or unsuitable message due to auto-correct. We recommend that you perform a backup of all your data before deleting frequently used words to avoid any loss of valuable data.
5 FAQs about Deleting Frequently Used Words on Android
Q1. How can I backup my personal dictionary?
A: To backup your personal dictionary, follow these steps:
1. Go to ‘Settings’ on your Android device.
2. Scroll down to ‘System’ and click on ‘Backup’.
3. Ensure that ‘App data’ is selected for backup and toggle on ‘Personal dictionary’.
4. Finally, click on ‘Back up now’ to start the backup process.
Q2. Can I delete multiple words at once using Gboard settings?
A: No, you cannot delete multiple words at once using Gboard settings. You will need to delete each word one by one.
Q3. I deleted a word by mistake, can I recover it?
A: If you have created a backup of your personal dictionary, you can recover the deleted word by restoring the backup. However, if you haven’t created a backup, unfortunately, the deleted word cannot be recovered.
Q4. Can I completely disable auto-correct on my Android device?
A: Yes, you can disable the auto-correct feature on your Android device by going to ‘Settings’ > ‘Language & input’ > ‘Virtual keyboard’ > ‘Gboard’ (or any other keyboard you are using) > ‘Text correction’ and then toggling off the ‘Auto-correction’ option.
Q5. Why do I see words in my personal dictionary that I have never used before?
A: The personal dictionary may have learned the words from other devices which are connected to your Google account. You can remove these words by following the steps mentioned above for deleting frequently used words using Google’s personal dictionary.
We hope that this blog post has helped you in understanding the different methods to delete frequently used words on your Android device. Remember to pay attention to the steps mentioned for your specific device and version, backup your personal data, and follow the process carefully. If you have any further queries or suggestions, feel free to leave them in the comments below.