Windows 10 is one of the most popular Operating Systems in use, and it has an inbuilt storage management system that is designed to make it easy to store and organize files. However, over time, these files can accumulate and eat up valuable storage space, leading to a slow and sluggish PC. In such a case, deleting files from the C drive is one way of freeing up storage space and keeping your PC running at optimum speed. In this article, we will look at several methods of deleting files from the C drive in Windows 10 and things to prepare for before embarking on this task.
The Challenge of Deleting Files from C Drive:
Before we delve into the methods of deleting files from the C drive, it is essential to know that the C drive hosts important files that are required for the proper functioning of your PC. Therefore, deleting these files can cause serious problems and even render your PC unusable. It is, therefore, essential to exercise caution when deleting files from the C drive and ensure that you only delete files that are no longer needed for your PC’s proper functioning.
Things You Should Prepare for:
1. Back up important files- Before you embark on deleting files from your C drive, ensure that you have backed up all your important files to an external hard drive or a cloud storage system.
2. Check file sizes- Take time to go through all the files on your C drive and select files that you no longer need and are large in size.
3. Have an insight of windows 10 – Familiarize yourself with Windows 10 and understand the function of each file before you delete it.
Method 1: Delete Files through File Explorer/C Cleaner:
Deleting files through File Explorer or C Cleaner is perhaps the easiest and most convenient way of freeing up space on your C drive. Here are the steps:
Step 1: Open the File Explorer app by clicking on the Windows key + E on your keyboard.
Step 2: Navigate to the C drive and select the folder or file that you wish to delete.
Step 3: Right-click on the file or folder and select the delete option.
Step 4: Confirm the delete action by clicking on the ‘Yes’ button.
Step 5: Alternatively, you can use C Cleaner to delete files from your C drive. To do so, download and install the C Cleaner app on your PC.
Step 6: Open the app and navigate to the ‘Advanced’ option.
Step 7: Under the ‘Advanced’ option, click on the ‘Cleaner’ option.
Step 8: Select the files that you wish to delete from your C drive and click on the ‘Run Cleaner’ button.
– Easy and straightforward method
– Does not require any technical expertise
– Can delete multiple files at once
– Files deleted through this method cannot be recovered
– Can easily delete important files accidentally if one is not careful
Method 2: Delete files with Disk Cleanup:
Disk Cleanup is a built-in tool in Windows 10 designed to help you free up storage space on your PC. Here’s how to use it:
Step 1: Click on the Windows key and type ‘Disk Cleanup’ in the search bar.
Step 2: Select the Disk Cleanup app from the search results.
Step 3: Choose the C drive from the dropdown list and click on ‘OK.’
Step 4: The tool will now scan your C drive and give you a list of all the files that are not needed.
Step 5: Select the files that you wish to delete and click on ‘Clean up system files.’
Step 6: Confirm the delete action by clicking on the ‘Delete files’ button.
– Built-in tool that is easy to use.
– Can delete system files that other methods cannot.
– Can delete important system files if not used correctly.
– The tool can take a long time to complete the scanning process.
Method 3: Use the Command Prompt:
The Command Prompt is a powerful tool that can be used to delete files from your C drive. Here’s how to use it:
Step 1: Open the Command Prompt app by typing ‘cmd’ in the search bar and selecting the app from the search results.
Step 2: Type ‘del c:\[file name]’ and press enter. Replace [file name] with the name of the file that you wish to delete.
Step 3: If the file is in a folder, type ‘del c:\[folder name] /s /f’ and press enter. Replace [folder name] with the name of the folder that you wish to delete.
Step 4: Confirm the delete action by pressing enter again.
– Does not require any external app.
– Can delete files with a specific name or in a particular folder.
– The tool can easily delete important system files if not used correctly.
– Users must have basic knowledge of Command Prompt to use this method.
Why Can’t I Delete Files from C Drive?
1. The file is in use by another program or process.
Fix: Close all open programs and try deleting the file again.
2. The file is a system file and is required for your PC’s proper functioning.
Fix: Do not delete system files from your C drive unless you are sure of their function.
3. The file is protected by Windows 10.
Fix: Try running the Command Prompt as an administrator and then deleting the file.
– Do not delete important system files from your C drive.
– Back up your important files before deleting any files from your C drive.
– Do not delete files that you are unsure of their function.
Q1. Can I restore files deleted from the C drive?
A1. Deleted files from the C drive are unrecoverable. Therefore, it is essential to back up important files before deleting them.
Q2. Can I delete system files from the C drive?
A2. Deleting system files from your C drive can cause serious problems and even render your PC unusable. Therefore, it is not recommended to delete system files from the C drive unless you are sure of their function.
Q3. Will deleting files from the C drive speed up my PC?
A3. Yes, deleting files from the C drive can free up valuable storage space and, in turn, improve your PC’s performance.
Q4. How do I know which files to delete from the C drive?
A4. You can identify files to delete from your C drive by going through your files and selecting files that you no longer need and are large in size.
Q5. Can I delete files from the C drive using third-party tools?
A5. Yes, there are several third-party tools that you can use to delete files from your C drive. However, exercise caution when using such tools and ensure that you only download and use trusted software.
Deleting files from the C drive is an essential task that can free up valuable storage space and improve your PC’s performance. However, it is crucial to exercise caution and ensure that you only delete files that are no longer needed and are not essential for your PC’s proper functioning. The methods discussed in this article are easy to use and do not require any technical expertise. However, it is imperative to follow the steps carefully to avoid deleting important files accidentally.