For iPhone users, managing messages can be a hassle, especially when the mailbox is filled with unread messages. Managing hundreds or even thousands of unread messages can be time-consuming and tedious. If you are one of those users, you may be wondering how to delete all unread messages on iPhone. Fortunately, there are several methods for doing this, and in this post, we’ll explore some options.
Before you take any action to delete unread messages on iPhone, make sure you have backed up all important data on your phone. In case of any problems or errors during the process, having a backup can help prevent data loss.
What Requires Your Attention?
Before you start deleting unread messages on your iPhone, take note of the following:
- Deleting unread messages will permanently remove them from your device. There will be no way to recover them once you have deleted them.
- If you have unread messages that are important, you should take some time to go through them and save any information you need before deleting them.
Method 1: Delete All Unread Messages On iPhone in the Mail App
To delete all unread messages in the Mail app, follow these steps:
- Open the Mail app on your iPhone.
- Click on “Edit” at the top right corner of the screen.
- Click on the circle at the top left corner of the screen to select all unread messages.
- Click on “Trash” to delete all the selected unread messages.
- Simple and easy to follow.
- Does not require any additional apps or software.
- Does not work for third-party apps such as WhatsApp or Facebook Messenger.
- You cannot selectively choose which unread messages to delete.
Method 2: Delete All Unread Messages On iPhone Using Siri Shortcut
If you’re looking for a faster way to delete all unread messages, you can use Siri shortcut. Here’s how:
- Set up a Siri shortcut with the following commands: “Delete all unread messages” or “Clear my inbox.”
- Activate the shortcut by speaking the command to Siri.
- Confirm the action when asked by Siri.
- Fast and convenient, especially if you have a lot of unread messages.
- Works for both first-party and third-party apps.
- Requires setting up a Siri shortcut beforehand.
- There is no way to “un-delete” messages if you accidentally activate the shortcut.
Method 3: Delete All Unread Messages On iPhone with Third-Party Apps
There are several third-party apps that you can use to delete all unread messages on your iPhone. One such app is the “Mailstrom” app. Here’s how to use it:
- Download and install the Mailstrom app from the App Store.
- Open the app and connect it to your email account.
- Select the “Inbox” folder and click on “Filter” at the top of the screen.
- Select “Unread” from the filter options to show all unread messages.
- Click on “Select All” to choose all messages displayed on the screen.
- Click on “Delete” at the bottom right corner of the screen to delete all unread messages.
- Works for multiple email accounts.
- You can selectively choose which unread messages to delete.
- Requires downloading and installing a third-party app.
- You need to sign in with your email account credentials, which can be a security risk.
Why Can’t I Delete All Unread Messages On iPhone?
There are several reasons why you may not be able to delete all unread messages on your iPhone:
- Your device may have a bug or error that prevents you from deleting messages.
- You may have exceeded the storage limit on your device, which can cause problems when trying to delete large numbers of messages.
- You may have a slow or unreliable internet connection, which can cause problems when syncing messages with your email server.
Implications and Recommendations
Deleting all unread messages on your iPhone can save you time and make it easier to manage your mailbox. However, it is important to remember that deleting messages also means losing important information.
Before you delete any unread messages, take some time to go through them and save any important information you may need. Additionally, consider using a third-party email management app that can help you sort and prioritize your messages more efficiently.
Q: Can I recover deleted unread messages on my iPhone?
A: No, once you have deleted messages, they cannot be recovered.
Q: Why do I have so many unread messages on my iPhone?
A: There can be many reasons for having a large number of unread messages on your iPhone, including receiving too many emails, not checking your mailbox regularly, or having too many email accounts synced to your device.
Q: Can I choose which unread messages to delete?
A: Yes, some methods, such as using third-party apps, allow you to selectively choose which unread messages to delete.
Q: Will deleting unread messages free up storage on my iPhone?
A: Yes, deleting messages can free up storage on your device, especially if you have a large number of messages.
Q: Can I delete unread messages on my iPhone from my computer?
A: Yes, you can use your computer to access your email account and delete unread messages from there.