Deleting photos from an iPhone seems like an easy task. However, it’s only intuitively easy until you want to delete all your photos permanently from your iPhone, at which point things get a bit more complicated. After all, there’s no option in the Photos app to select all photos and hit delete. Sure, you could select each photo to delete several times, but that would be a time-consuming and annoying task. To make it worse, even if you select all your photos, you still have to deal with those piles of deleted photos that still lie in the bin. In this tutorial, we’ll show you how to delete all your photos permanently from your iPhone.
Before you start, make sure you have the following requirements:
- An iPhone running iOS 8 and upwards.
- A USB cable to connect your iPhone to your computer.
- A computer with iTunes installed.
- Patience, determination, and a willingness to learn.
What Requires Your Focus?
When we talk about permanently deleting all photos from an iPhone, this means that your photos will be gone forever without any chance of recovery. As such, you need to be completely sure that you want to delete all your photos permanently. Once you have made up your mind, ensure all data has been backed up to a cloud service or a traditional computer.
Different Methods to Delete All Photos from iPhone Permanently
Method 1: Via Settings
If you want to remove all your photos permanently with the least amount of fuss, this is the method for you. With just a few taps, your iPhone will be photo-free.
Step 1: Open the Settings app on your iPhone.
Step 2: Tap General.
Step 3: Scroll down and tap Reset.
Step 4: Tap Erase All Content and Settings.
Step 5: Enter your password if prompted and confirm.
- Easy and straight forward to use.
- Doesn’t require a computer or iTunes.
- Deletes other data on the iPhone as well.
- Not suitable for those who don’t want to erase all content and settings on their device.
- Can take a long time to complete.
Method 2: Via iTunes
Although not as easy as the first method, deleting all your photos from your iPhone permanently via iTunes is a tried-and-tested method that works.
Step 1: Connect your iPhone to your computer using a USB cable.
Step 2: Open iTunes on your computer.
Step 3: Select your iPhone from the menu bar in iTunes.
Step 4: Click on the Photos tab.
Step 5: Uncheck the Sync Photos option.
Step 6: Click on Apply and then Sync.
- Photos are permanently deleted without erasing any other data
- No iCloud space is taken up.
- Can only be done using a computer with iTunes installed.
- Takes longer than Method 1.
- A little more complex than the first method.
Method 3: Via Third-Party App
There are several third-party apps that can help you to delete all your photos permanently from your iPhone. In this tutorial, we’ll use the Third-Party App "PhoneClean" to demonstrate this method.
Step 1: Download and install PhoneClean on your computer.
Step 2: Connect your iPhone to a computer with PhoneClean installed.
Step 3: Launch PhoneClean and select the option "Erase Clean" on the home screen.
Step 4: Select "Photos" from the list of options and hit "Scan."
Step 5: After the scan is complete, click "Clean" and wait for the process to finish.
- Efficient method for deleting all photos.
- Can perform other cleaning tasks.
- Requires a third-party app to be installed on your computer.
- May require a paid subscription for full use.
Why Can’t I Delete All Photos from iPhone Permanently?
There may be several reasons why you are unable to delete all photos from your iPhone permanently. Here are some common reasons and how to fix them:
1. iCloud Photo Library: If the iCloud Photo Library feature is turned on, then you can’t delete all your photos permanently from your iPhone. To fix this, turn off the iCloud Photo Library feature in Settings > iCloud > Photos.
2. System Bug: A system bug may cause a problem when attempting to delete all photos from an iPhone. To troubleshoot, try restarting your iPhone, making sure it has the latest software version, or resetting settings via Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings.
3. Some Photos are Synced with iTunes: If you’ve synced some photos with iTunes, they won’t be removed even if you delete them from your iPhone. You’ll need to go to the folder where they are stored on your computer to delete them.
Implications and Recommendations
Deleting all photos from your iPhone permanently should be considered a highly sensitive action as it’s irreversible. Make sure that you have a backup of your data before deleting any photos, and consider only doing so if you’re sure you don’t need any of them.
5 FAQs about How to Delete All Photos from iPhone Permanently
Q1: How long does it take to delete all the photos permanently? A:
The time it takes to delete all the photos permanently depends on the method you choose and the number of photos you have. The first method takes the longest to complete, with an average time of 30 minutes. The other two methods are faster, with an average time of 10-15 minutes.
Q2: Can I undo the deletion of all my photos from my iPhone?
A: No, once photos are permanently deleted, they can’t be recovered. Therefore, make sure you’re completely sure you want them gone before starting the process.
Q3: Can I delete all photos from my iPhone without any backup?
A: No, it’s not recommended to delete all your photos from your iPhone without a backup. If anything goes wrong during the process, you will lose all your pictures forever.
Q4: Does the iCloud Photo Library store all my photos?
A: Yes, if turned on, iCloud Photo Library stores all your photos in the cloud. This means that deleting all photos from your iPhone might not remove them from iCloud, so it’s important to check that the iCloud Photo Library feature is off before starting the deletion process.
Q5: Can I delete my photos permanently from my iPhone without a computer?
A: Yes, the first method described in this tutorial can be done directly from the iPhone without a computer.
Deleting all photos from your iPhone permanently can be a daunting task, but with the three methods outlined in this tutorial, you should be able to do so with ease. Remember to backup your data before starting the process, and don’t hesitate to reach out for assistance if you encounter any problems.