As you use your phone for various purposes, you would want to delete a mail account after you are finished using it or because you no longer require the account. Deleting an email account from your phone can help declutter your mailbox. Moreover, it can boost its performance and reduce the risk of getting spammed. This article will guide you on how to delete an email account from a smartphone swiftly and efficiently.
To delete an email account from your phone, you will require the following:
- Your smartphone
- A valid email account that you wish to delete
- Stable internet connection
What Requires Your Focus?
Before you proceed to delete your email account, it is necessary to take care of the following things:
- Ensure that you have backed up all your important mail data because deleting a mail account from your phone will scrub clean all the emails related to that account from the phone.
- Take note that removing an email account from your phone will eliminate all your important configurations, settings, and preferences related to that account.
- Deleting an email account from your phone does not mean that your account has been deleted from the email server. To delete the account permanently, you will have to visit the email server’s website and delete the account from the server itself.
Different Methods to Delete Email Accounts from Phone
Method 1: Via Phone Settings
Deleting an email account from your smartphone can be done in seconds if you follow these simple steps:
- Open ‘Settings’ on your phone.
- Scroll down to ‘Mail’ or ‘Accounts & Passwords’ and tap it.
- Select the email account that you want to delete.
- Tap ‘Delete Account.’
- You will be asked to confirm that you want to delete the account. Tap ‘Delete Account’ once again.
- Your email account will be deleted from the phone.
- Deleting an account through this method works for most email service providers, including Gmail, Yahoo, and Microsoft.
- The process is straightforward and does not require any technical skills.
- If you own an Android phone, the procedure may vary based on the phone’s make and model.
- Deleting your email account from your phone may not delete it from the email service provider’s server.
Method 2: Via Email App
The process for removing an email account from the email app is similar to deleting an app from your phone. Here’s how to delete an email account from the email app:
- Open the email application on your smartphone.
- Select the email account that you want to delete from the list of email accounts.
- Tap and hold the email account and, then, tap ‘Delete.’
- You will be prompted to confirm the deletion of the account.
- Tap ‘Delete’ once again to delete the email account from the phone.
- This method is simple and straightforward.
- You don’t have to navigate through the phone settings to delete email accounts.
- Not all phones have an email app pre-installed.
- Sometimes, the email app will only delete the email account from the email app, and not the phone’s settings.
Method 3: Via Third-Party App
You can use third-party apps like BlueMail, Edison, Gmail, or Outlook to link your email accounts and manage them effectively. The apps have streamlined the process of removing email accounts. Here’s how you can use third-party apps to delete email accounts:
- Open the third-party app of your choice.
- Tap on the email account that you want to delete.
- Select ‘Account Settings’ or ‘Manage Accounts.’
- Scroll down and find the ‘Delete Account’ option.
- Tap on it.
- You will be asked to confirm the deletion of the account.
- Confirm the deletion and exit the app.
- You can manage all your email accounts in one place.
- Third-party email apps offer more features than the in-built email app on most smartphones, such as attachment handling, multiple account management, and email filtering.
- Some apps may keep your email data for analysis purposes.
- You’ll have to check for app compatibility with your phone’s operating system.
Why Can’t I Delete an Email Account from My Phone?
There are a few reasons why you might be unable to delete your email account from your phone. Below are some of the common causes:
- The email account is the only account on the phone. To delete an email account from your phone, you’ll need to set up another email account first.
- The email account’s description or alias resembles another account that is vital to the phone’s functionality. In this case, you can rename the account you want to delete for ease of identification.
- The phone doesn’t have access to the internet. Check the mobile data or Wi-Fi connection if you’re having trouble removing an email account on your phone.
- Make sure your mobile device is running on the latest software version.
- Force close the mobile email app.
- Clear your phone’s cache.
- Restart your phone.
Implications and Recommendations:
Deleting an email account from the phone will cause all emails, contacts, and data associated with that account to disappear from the device. While it frees up space on your phone, the email account is not deleted from the email service provider’s server. It merely removes all data stored on the device.
We recommend that before you delete an email account from your phone, you should create a backup of your important email data. You should also check that your account’s data is synchronized with the email service provider’s server before deleting the account.
5 FAQs about Deleting an Email Account from Phone
Q1: What happens when I delete an email account from my phone?
A1: All emails, settings, and preferences associated with the email account selected will be removed from the device.
Q2: Will deleting an email account from my phone also delete it from the email provider’s server?
A2: No, it will not delete the account from the email provider’s server. You’ll have to delete the email account from the server separately.
Q3: Can I delete an email account from my phone, but keep it on my PC?
A3: Yes, you can. Deleting an email account from your phone does not delete the account from other devices.
Q4: Can I undo the deletion of an email account from my phone?
A4: No, once an email account is deleted from your phone, you cannot reverse the process.
Q5: Why is my phone not allowing me to delete an email account?
A5: The reasons why you cannot delete an email account from your phone include the email account being the only email associated with the device, offline mode, or bugs on your phone. Check your connection, phone settings, and try restarting the device.
In conclusion, deleting an email account from your phone is a simple process that can be achieved through a few clicks. The steps listed above can guide you to remove an email account from your phone. Remember to back up your data and double-check that whether an email account is linked to other devices or not. Understanding the reasons why you might not delete an email account from your phone can also assist you in troubleshooting the problem.