Whatsapp has been a go-to app for communication for many people worldwide. It offers an easy way of keeping in touch with friends and family members by sending messages, emojis, pictures, videos, and even voice notes. One feature that the app offers is the ability to send broadcast messages to multiple recipients at once. This feature is useful, especially when you want to send out a message to many people at once. However, the broadcasted message cannot be recalled or deleted once it has been sent. This can result in embarrassing situations, especially if the message is inappropriate. In this article, we will show you various methods you can use to delete a broadcast message on WhatsApp.
The Challenge of Deleting a Broadcast Message on Whatsapp
Unlike ordinary messages, broadcast messages on Whatsapp cannot be simply deleted by clicking on the delete button. Since broadcast messages are sent to multiple recipients at once, the app does not offer a straightforward way to delete them. The only way to delete a broadcast message is by deleting it from your chat log. The recipients of the message will still be able to view the message on their chat logs. Therefore, deleting a broadcast message requires different approaches compared to deleting an individual message or chat.
Things You Should Prepare for
Before we delve into the methods of deleting a broadcast message on WhatsApp, there are a few things you should prepare for.
1. Make sure you have the latest version of WhatsApp installed on your phone.
2. Have a reliable internet connection.
3. Ensure that you have the phone numbers or contacts of the recipients that received the message.
4. Consider backup of crucial messages.
Method 1: Via Notification
This method involves deleting a broadcasted message by using the notification feature of the app. It only works if the message has been received by the recipients but has not been opened.
1. Swipe down your phone’s notification bar and find the notification for the broadcast message you want to delete.
2. Hold down on the notification until a menu appears.
3. Tap on the "Delete" option to delete the broadcast message.
Pros: This method is very easy and straightforward to use, and it works even if the recipients have not yet viewed the broadcast message.
Cons: This method can only be used if the recipients have not viewed the broadcast message. If the message has already been opened, this method will not work.
Method 2: Clearing the Chat
This method involves clearing your chat log to delete the broadcasted message from your phone.
1. Open WhatsApp on your phone and go to the chat where you sent the broadcast message.
2. Press and hold on the chat until it becomes highlighted.
3. Tap on the "Bin" icon or the "Delete" button.
4. Tap on the "Delete for everyone" option to delete the message for all the recipients as well.
Pros: This method permanently deletes the broadcast message from your phone, and the recipients’ phone.
Cons: The broadcast message will still appear on the recipients’ chat log until they delete it.
Method 3: WhatsApp Web
WhatsApp web is a web-based version of the WhatsApp app that enables you to access the app on your computer. This method involves deleting a broadcast message from WhatsApp web.
1. Log in to your WhatsApp web account.
2. Click on the chat where you sent the broadcast message.
3. Right-click on the message you want to delete.
4. Click on the "Delete" option and select "Delete for everyone."
Pros: This method is stress-free, and you can delete the message from the comfort of your computer.
Cons: This method can only be used if you have previously linked your WhatsApp phone application to your browser.
Why Can’t I Delete Broadcast Messages on Whatsapp?
There are a variety of reasons why you may not be able to delete broadcast messages on WhatsApp. Here are three of them:
1. The recipient read the message.
A broadcast message cannot be deleted if the recipient has already read it. Once the message has been read, it becomes a part of their chat log and is stored in their phone’s memory.
2. You are using an outdated version of WhatsApp.
To delete a broadcast message, you need to have the most recent version of WhatsApp installed on your phone. Old versions of the app do not have the "Delete for everyone" option, which means that the broadcast message will not be deleted entirely.
3. No internet connection.
To delete a message, you need to have a reliable internet connection. Without an internet connection, the deletion request will not be sent to the recipients’ phones, and the message will not be deleted.
1. Be cautious when sending out broadcast messages. Make sure that the message is appropriate and meant for all the recipients.
2. Always keep your WhatsApp application up-to-date.
3. Consider using the broadcast feature sparingly.
5 FAQs About Deleting Broadcast Messages on Whatsapp
Q1. Can I delete a broadcast message for specific recipients only?
A1. No, once you have sent a broadcast message, you cannot delete it for specific recipients only. You can only delete the broadcast message for everyone or delete it from your chat log.
Q2. Can I delete a broadcast message if I am not the admin of the group chat?
A2. Yes, you can delete the broadcast message if you sent it, even if you are not the admin of the group chat.
Q3. What happens when I delete a broadcast message for everyone?
A3. The message is deleted from both your chat log and the recipients’ chat logs.
Q4. Can I retrieve a deleted broadcast message?
A4. No, once you delete a broadcast message, it is permanently deleted and cannot be retrieved.
Q5. Does WhatsApp notify the recipients when I delete a broadcast message?
A5. Yes, the recipient will receive a notification that the message has been deleted.
Deleting a broadcast message on WhatsApp can be a daunting task, but with the right steps, it can be done. We have shown you three methods to use, and each method has its pros and cons. Remember to keep your WhatsApp application up-to-date, and always be cautious when sending out broadcast messages.