iMessage is a messaging app that is native to Apple devices. It allows you to send text messages, photos, videos, and even audio messages for free to other Apple users. Sometimes we accidentally delete important messages from our iMessage conversation. It could be a message from a loved one, a work-related conversation, or a contact that you may have missed. Fortunately, iMessage has a feature that stores deleted messages temporarily.
In this blog post, we’ll explore how to check recently deleted messages on iMessage. We will guide you through three different methods to recover your deleted messages. Each method has its own advantages, disadvantages, and quirks. We’ll also explain what you need and what requires your focus to check the recently deleted messages. Let’s dive into it!
To recover deleted iMessage messages, you will need your iPhone or iPad with iMessage enabled, internet access, and your login credentials for your Apple ID. It’s also a good practice to backup your device to iCloud or iTunes regularly to have a restore point in case something goes wrong.
Method 1: Check Recently Deleted Folder
Method 1 is the easiest way to recover your deleted messages as it involves minimal effort. If you’re trying to recover a recently deleted message, you can check the ‘Recently Deleted’ folder on your iMessage app. Here are the steps:
1. Open the iMessage app on your iPhone or iPad
2. Navigate to the folder icon at the top left corner of the screen
3. Scroll down and locate the ‘Recently Deleted’ folder
4. The messages that were deleted will appear here for 30 days from the time they were deleted.
5. Select the messages that you want to restore by holding them down
6. Tap the ‘Recover’ button to restore the messages back to your iMessage inbox.
Pros: Easy and straightforward
Cons: Only works if the messages were deleted less than 30 days ago
Method 2: Restore from iCloud Backup
If the messages that you want to recover have been deleted more than 30 days ago or if the messages are not in the ‘Recently Deleted’ folder, you can try to restore them from an iCloud backup. Here are the steps:
1. Go to ‘Settings’ on your iPhone/iPad
2. Tap your Apple ID at the top of the screen
3. Tap ‘iCloud’
4. Scroll down and find ‘iCloud Backup’
5. If it’s turned off, turn it on and click ‘Back Up Now’
6. Once the backup is completed, erase all the content and settings on your device by going to ‘Settings’ > ‘General’ > ‘Reset’ > ‘Erase All Content and Settings’.
7. When the device restarts, follow the set-up process, selecting ‘Restore from iCloud Backup’ when prompted.
8. Choose the most relevant backup to restore from.
9. After the device has finished restoring from the backup, try to recover your deleted messages using Method 1.
Pros: Can recover messages deleted more than 30 days ago
Cons: Time-consuming and must erase all the content and settings on the device.
Method 3: Use a Third-Party Recovery Tool
If you still can’t recover your deleted messages using the previous methods, you can use a third-party recovery tool. There are many tools available on the internet that can help you recover deleted messages from your device. Some of the popular options are Dr. Fone, PhoneRescue, and Tenorshare UltData. Here are the steps to using Dr. Fone:
1. Download and install Dr. Fone on your computer.
2. Connect your iPhone or iPad to your computer using a USB cable
3. Launch Dr. Fone and select ‘Recover from iOS Device.’
4. The program will automatically detect your device. Click ‘Start Scan.’
5. Once the scan is completed, preview and select the messages that you want to recover
6. Click ‘Recover to Computer’ to restore the messages to your computer.
7. Transfer the recovered messages back to your device using a third-party transfer tool or iTunes.
Pros: Can recover deleted messages regardless of how long ago they were deleted
Cons: Must download and pay for a third-party tool
Why Can’t I Check My Deleted Messages?
There are several reasons why you might not be able to recover deleted messages through the above methods:
1. Messages were permanently deleted – if you manually deleted a message or if the message was automatically deleted after 30 days, then it’s impossible to recover it.
2. No iCloud backup – if you don’t have an iCloud backup, then you won’t be able to restore your deleted messages using Method 2.
3. iCloud backup is outdated – if you don’t back up your device regularly or if your last backup is outdated, then chances are your deleted messages will not be on the backup.
Implications and Recommendations
Accidentally deleting important messages can be a stressful experience. Thankfully, iMessage provides several ways to recover deleted messages. The ‘Recently Deleted’ folder is an excellent first option to try if the messages were deleted recently. If the messages are more than 30 days old or are somehow missing from the ‘Recently Deleted’ folder, restoring from iCloud backup can help you recover deleted messages. Lastly, using a third-party tool can help you recover messages that could not be recovered using the previous methods.
It’s important to always backup your device and to regularly check your backup to ensure that your data is saved and up-to-date. Also, in the case of losing important messages, you may consider turning on the ‘Messages in iCloud’ feature that automatically backs up your iMessage messages to your iCloud account and syncs across all your Apple devices.
Q1. What happens to deleted iMessages?
A1. Deleted iMessages are temporarily stored in the ‘Recently Deleted’ folder in your iMessage app for 30 days before they are permanently deleted.
Q2. Can someone still see my deleted iMessages?
A2. No, once you delete iMessages, they are removed from your device and can no longer be accessed unless they are backed up.
Q3. How can I prevent accidental message deletion?
A3. You can prevent accidental message deletion by turning on Screen Time, which has a ‘Content and Privacy Restrictions’ feature that prevents certain actions like deleting apps or content.
Q4. Can I recover deleted messages without a backup?
A4. No, you cannot recover deleted messages without a backup.
Q5. Can I recover deleted messages from someone else’s device?
A5. No, you cannot recover deleted messages from someone else’s device unless you have their login credentials to their account and have access to a backup of their device.
Checking recently deleted messages on iMessage is important if you accidentally deleted important information. The methods listed in this blog post, namely the Recently Deleted folder, iCloud backup, and third-party recovery tools, can help you recover your deleted messages. Always remember to regularly backup your device and keep it updated to ensure the safety of your data.