Have you ever found yourself in a situation where you accidentally deleted a message thread in your Facebook Messenger app and later on regretted it? Or worse, have you ever fallen prey to those trolls who constantly delete their messages to avoid any evidence? Worry no more as we have got you covered. In this article, we will be discussing various methods to help you check deleted messages on Facebook Messenger app.
To check deleted messages on Facebook Messenger app, you will need the following items:
- A smartphone
- Facebook Messenger app
What Requires Your Focus?
Before we jump into the methods, there are a few things you need to keep in mind:
- You can only retrieve messages that were deleted after the latest update of the app; anything deleted before that cannot be retrieved.
- The messages must be deleted from your account, not anyone else’s.
- If you have archived the messages, they can still be retrieved even if you delete them from the archived folder.
Method 1: Use Facebook’s Message Recovery Tool
Facebook offers a message recovery tool that enables you to retrieve your deleted messages. Here are the steps to use it:
- Log in to your Facebook account from a browser.
- Click on the question mark icon at the top right corner of the account window.
- Select ‘Help & Support’ from the dropdown list.
- Select ‘Report a problem’ from the options.
- Select ‘Something isn’t working’ and then select ‘Messages’ from the options.
- Select ‘I’m having trouble with messages’ and click on ‘Next’.
- Facebook will then ask you to provide more details regarding the problem. In the text box, explain that you accidentally deleted messages and you need them back
- Click on ‘Add Files’ and select a screenshot of the deleted messages to support your case.
- Click on ‘Send’ to submit your request.
- The method is simple and easy to use.
- You can submit your request to Facebook and they can retrieve your messages for you.
- You have to wait for Facebook’s review before you can retrieve the messages. It might take a few days.
- You have to provide a screenshot of the deleted messages to support your request.
Method 2: Check Your Archived Messages
If you have archived the deleted messages, you can retrieve them using this method:
- Open Facebook Messenger app on your smartphone.
- At the top of your chat list, click on the magnifying glass icon to search for the deleted message thread.
- Type in one or two words from the deleted message thread and the search bar will show the archived conversation.
- Click on the conversation to retrieve the deleted messages.
- The method is quick and easy to use.
- You can retrieve multiple threads that have been archived.
- You can only retrieve the messages if you have archived them previously.
- If you have deleted the messages from the archived folder, you won’t be able to retrieve them.
Method 3: Use a Data Recovery Tool
If the above methods don’t work, you can use a data recovery tool to retrieve your deleted messages. Here are the steps:
- Install a data recovery tool on your smartphone, such as Dr.Fone or EaseUS MobiSaver.
- Open the data recovery tool and connect your smartphone to your computer.
- Follow the instructions given by the software to scan your device for data.
- Once the scan is complete, select the messages you want to retrieve and click on the ‘Recover’ option.
- The method can retrieve all types of deleted messages, even those not archived.
- You can use the method on both iOS and Android devices.
- You have to download and install a data recovery tool, which can be time-consuming.
- The method may not retrieve all the messages you want, and some messages may be corrupted or unreadable.
Why Can’t I Check My Deleted Messages?
There are a few reasons why you cannot check your deleted messages:
1. Latest Update:
If the messages were deleted before the latest update of Facebook Messenger app, you won’t be able to retrieve them. The message recovery tool only works on messages deleted after the latest update.
2. Deleted by Someone Else:
If someone else has deleted the messages, you won’t be able to retrieve them. The method only works if you or someone else who has access to your account has deleted the messages.
3. Not Archived:
If you haven’t archived the messages, you won’t be able to retrieve them. The archived messages can be retrieved even if they are deleted.
- Ensure that you have the latest version of the Facebook Messenger app installed.
- Make sure that the messages were deleted from your account and not someone else’s.
- Archive the messages to retrieve them even if they are deleted.
Implications and Recommendations
Deleting messages from your Facebook Messenger app doesn’t mean they are gone forever. Even if the messages are deleted, they can be retrieved using the methods we have discussed. However, it’s important to note that the messages can only be retrieved if they were deleted after the latest update. It’s always advisable to archive important messages to avoid losing them. Here are some recommendations:
- Regularly backup your messages, in case you accidentally delete them or lose your device.
- Archive important messages to avoid losing them.
- Always update your Facebook Messenger app to enjoy the latest features.
5 FAQs About Checking Deleted Messages on Facebook Messenger App
Q1. Why are deleted messages not disappearing from Facebook Messenger app?
A1. The messages might still be visible in your activity log, which is why they aren’t disappearing from the app. To remove them completely, go to your activity log and delete them.
Q2. Can I retrieve messages deleted before the latest update of Facebook Messenger app?
A2. No, you can only retrieve messages deleted after the latest update.
Q3. Can I retrieve messages if they were deleted from someone else’s account?
A3. No, you can only retrieve messages deleted from your account.
Q4. How can I archive messages on Facebook Messenger app?
A4. Tap and hold the message thread you want to archive, then tap on ‘Archive’ at the bottom of the screen.
Q5. Are there any tools to retrieve deleted messages for free?
A5. No, most data recovery tools come with a price, and the free ones may not retrieve all your deleted messages or may be faulty.
Deleting messages from your Facebook Messenger app doesn’t mean they are gone forever, thanks to the methods we have just shared. However, it’s important to note that the methods might not work if the messages were deleted before the latest update or if they were deleted from someone else’s account. Always archive important messages to avoid losing them, and update your Facebook Messenger app to enjoy the latest features.